Bottle Drying question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dole21

Reaction score
I went thru the process of removing the labels on a couple dozen bottles. I then sanitized the bottles.

I turned them upside down in my dishwasher ot help them dry, but they wont fully dry inside. Ive even gone as far as running them in the heat dry on my dishwasher.

How can i have the bottles dry completley? I am not ready to use them yet, for at least 2-3 more weeks. I am worried that the water will mold in there.

I do plan on sanitizing them again before I bottle but I am just worried about storage now.

I just turn them upside down, and they dry eventually. You can put a papertowel down in the bottom of the box you store them in, so that you don't ruin the box.
You'll inspect and sanitize before filling anyway, so they'll be fine.

When washing bottles, I do my final rinse with VERY hot water. Helps them dry more quickly when upside down in the bottle rack. What little water does remain dries over time stored upside down in cases.

I've always washed them like this well prior to brewing (usually several weeks), then just do a final sanitizing in the dish washer. Quick extra hot wash and heated dry. What little water remains after the heated dry hasn't yet affected the final quality of any of my beers... at least not in such a way that I can detect.

Just keep them stored upside down and they'll dry out. Really, there is no reason to sanitize after you clean them. I know some people do but to me it is a waste of time and sanitizer. Just wait until you bottle because you have to do it then anyway.

Are you planning on using your dishwasher to sanitize when you bottle? If you dishwasher doesn't get the water hot enough to dry your bottles instantly, I don't believe it's hot enough to sanitize your bottles.

I ended up buying a bottling tree.

I didnt use my dishwasher to sanitize them no. I'll sanitize right before I bottle. This was just a merely cleaning them and storing them for later use.

I didnt wanna just toss them in a cabinent and go to use them and have em full of mold. The bottling tree has helped keep em all in one spot.

Thanks for the help everyone!

I store my bottles wet. Haven't had issues yet. I always do the hot pbw shake -> sanitizer before bottling anyways.

I actually had one batch go moldy in the bottle. That was the one time I used to dishwasher to sanitize. Never again...

No offense, but, I think people are too cautious when attempting to do certiain things when it comes to brewing, don't get me wrong I am no expert. I am only on my second batch and going to brew my third this week, but c'mon bottles will dry in due time and you will sanitize them before filling with the "elixer from the gods". I wouldn't really worry about a little condensation in the botttle ,and like many others have posted, use hot water and turn upside down to dry either on a paper towel or on a dish towel or use the dish washer as a drying rack. It will be okay. Brewing is as difficult as you make it, of course cleansing and sanitation is important, but it does not need to be done in a "clean room" with pristine/sterile conditions (in a perfect world this would be great) but we don't live in a perfect world. It is an art as well as a science and bottling is actually a fairly moot part of the process. Clean and sanitize bottles, fill, and condition it is that simple. Don't make it harder than it has to be, or than it actually is. What did they do hundreds of years ago without StarSan and Iodophor? They still managed to brew great beer, and the basic principles are what we still follow as brewers. So, RDWHAHB!!! This is a fun and excellent "hobby" make it fun, stop worrying, remember... why did you start brewing to begin with? I hope to have a good time, learn this process, save money in the long...long run, meet new people and relish in the fact that you could brew great suds and enjoy it! I love this ****!!! BTW I'm a little tipsy.

If the bottle is clean there is nothing to mold. Water doesn't mold unless there is food for the mold to grow on.

Latest posts

Back