how does this recipe for a wheat look?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david83

Reaction score
Munton's Wheat Dry Extract 5 lbs, 0 oz
Briess 2-Row Brewer's Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Tettnang, German Pellets - Aroma/Flavor Hop 3.2% AA 1 oz
Hallertau Pellets, German - Aroma/Flavor Hop 3.0% AA 1 oz
SAFBREW WB-06 Wheat Beer

im goona let this sit on strawberries in secondary.

When were those hops being added? Also I would add like 6oz 10L crystal to it to add some body and mouthfeel.( steep in a bag before your boil until temp gets to 175 and pull them out) It will add a couple points to your OG.

i did 1 lb 4 oz of white wheat and 8 oz of 2 row and 4 oz of 10 l of crystal 5 lbs of wheat lme,1 oz of liberty at 60 min and 1 0z of haleratua at im thinking 15 min 1 White Wheat wb-06 wheat beer dry yeastyeast lb

ahh that sounds nice but i think im gonna let it sit on strawberries in secondary.also i think liberty at 60 min and tettnang at 10 min what do you think of that?

Never did the strawberries thing before, but was planning on something similiar with pomegranate so let me know how it turns out.

wiil do,i have read that itll take a while to taste real good with strawberries giving a tart flavor at first but ill wait for it!

A couple tips.

Most wheat beers are going to be about 50% wheat and 50% 2-row, and that's it. No crystal malts or anything else, and you will get plenty of body and mouthfeel from the wheat. And the wheat extracts are usually about 50-50. Great wheat beers are made all the time with nothing more than wheat extract and one hop addition, it's all about the yeast and fermentation (I keep mine around 66)

Hops and fruit do not go well together at all. I would lose the aroma addition and only add the bittering addition if you plan on adding fruit. The hop flavor and aroma will compete with the fruit and give you a muddled flavor that will hide the strawberry. Aim for a low bittering also to help the strawberry come through.

You're right about strawberries, it is kinda hard to really get the flavor. You're gonna need at least a pound per gallon, and I would recommend at least 2-3 weeks of contact time. If you are lacking in fruit flavor, a little back sweetening can help, as can the addition of a SMALL amount of acid blend.

wow thanks for the info barley water i will take you advice on the hops and only add the bittering hopsand also i was planning on 4 lbs of stawberriesfor about 3 weeks.i was planning on usind wb-06 for yeast would you suggest something elsefrom your exp?

I don't know w whole lot about that yeast, I prefer the Weihenstephan strain from either White Labs or WYeast myself, but from what I have read about that dry yeast, it can be a bit phenolic if you ferment too warm. Many people stated having good results with temps in the lower 60's (62-65), resulting in more clove.

Back