Fortifying unfermented cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gbeens

Reaction score
I pressed more apples than I can ferment (this is a good predicament), and while I am freezing a ton for later, I thought I might try some fortified experiments. Any reason I can't use whiskey or rum to bring the alcohol up to 20% (from zero!) and cap it in a beer bottle? Other than a potentially awful taste, is there any risk I am overlooking?
Thanks a lot.

If you mix it half juice, and half whiskey, you will get 20%ABV. How much whiskey was you wanting to buy? Don't forget to stabilize it before bottling.

You might want to consider using Everclear/grain alcohol. It's 190 proof, so you need much less of it. That way, the apple profile is not diluted as much.

I would let it sit a while to clarify. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of sediment in the bottle.

Thanks for all the input - my whiskey clocks in at 45%, so five ounces of it in each 12 oz bottle would give me 2.25 oz of alcohol, or 18.75% percent when topped off with the cider. So, not quite a 1:1 ratio, but close enough.
I was wondering, though, if I had to stabilize it first. Is that 18% enough to kill off the spoilers, or would it go funky without some tablets?
Thanks again

They have found spoilers at levels higher then 20%. Thats why i still campden even at that high. 'Non-spoilers' will die off around 3% for what thats worth. Your supposed to get some sort of 'shelf stable' protection around 20% though like whiskey.

Back