Should I strain/filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvInSTL

Reaction score
I'm 15mins into my 60min boil for a BestBrew Wheat Beer.

I followed the direction that came with the kit and added the Northern Brewer Hop pellets for the first 45 minutes. Then I am supposed to flameout and mix in the DME. Boil for another 15mins and flameout. Add 1/2 Hallertauer hop pellets and after 5 minutes it says to pour the wort through a strainer into the fermenter.

The question is do I have to strain? The two books I have are a split decision. One says to strain, the other says its ok to leave the hops in the fermenter.

Thoughts?

Either way is ok. It is all a matter of personal preference. Everything should settle out in the fermentor.

Cheers

i agree. i've done it both ways. the only issue will be that you will have to avoid more trub when you transfer to secondary. more of a technical issue. won't effect taste tho.

Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead with poured all of the wort into the fermenter without straining.

And man, a combo cold bottled spring water and an ice bath got it down to 70deg. in less than 10minutes!

Well off to clean and sanitize so I can brew a batch of Robust Porter tonight.

Thanks again!

One advantage to using a strainer is that it aerates the wort pretty good.

Proofman said:
One advantage to using a strainer is that it aerates the wort pretty good.

tru dat

I like to whirlpool my kettle then siphon through a strainer/funnel into the carboy..it removes or eliminates the majority of the trub and gets my aeration under way.

HarvInSTL said:
I thought I was only supposed to aerate the wort once it cooled down to yeast pitching temps?

yup...however if you do full boils and use a chiller, it's been cooled in the kettle.

HarvInSTL said:
I thought I was only supposed to aerate the wort once it cooled down to yeast pitching temps?
Thats why most people cool in the kettle. It hard to transfer the beer without some aeration. I've dropped my kettle into an ice bath before but a wort cooler is much easier and quicker. Once cool then you can do one of, dump contents into fermenter, whirlpool then siphon into fermenter, or pour through filter into fermenter. I do the whirlpool and siphon.
Craig

I just checked on prices of 3/8" soft copper tubing and I'm going to just follow these directions this weekend and make a 20ft immersion wort cooler.

Thanks for the info!

Latest posts

Back