The 3-tier system is alive and well in GA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limulus

Reaction score
So, it appears that both the Senate and the State House have remained pawns of the distributors. We get to stay in the post-prohibition 1930s! From what I can tell, you still won't be able to walk into a production brewery and buy a pint or take home a growler. You can now get free samples without being part of a legal loophole. That is good for consumers, but not good at all for the brewers. I think that one is a huge win for big beer.

I did some quick research and here is just a tiny list of events that occurred around the time of the prohibition repeal and the creation of the 3-tier system:
Charles Lindbergh flew from NY to Paris in May, 1927.
The first public television broadcast was made by the BBC in 1929.
Martin Luther King Jr was born Jan 15, 1929,
Buzz Aldrin was born Jan 20, 1930
Neil Armstrong was born Augus 5, 1930.
World War II had not begun and the Greatest Generation were mostly children in the 1930s.

A few more important events

1932:
Air Conditioning was invented
Amelia Earhart was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic
Scientists split the Atom
Lindbergh’s baby was kidnapped

1933:
Adolf Hitler was appointed Chancellor of Germany
Assassination attempt on President Roosevelt
Roosevelt launched the New Deal
First Nazi Concentration Camp Established
Loch Ness Monster First Spotted
Prohibition ends in the US!

1934:
Bonnie and Clyde were killed by police
The cheeseburger was created

So what is my point? It’s all about beer and prohibition era laws. The dates and events are merely references to a point in our history. But in March, 2015, we in the state of Georgia are still living under post-prohibition era law. Every state that touches Georgia have moved on. In Georgia, we are not allowed to visit a craft/microbrewery tasting room and sit at a table while drinking a pint or two of beer that we paid for. We can only buy a souvenir glass and get a tour and then have a few samples. Every other state that touches Georgia allow on-site sales. As a matter of fact 46 out of 50 states allow this.

So why is this such a problem? Our state government favors the large distributor network over small business. A bill was introduced that would have put Georgia on a similar playing field as most other states. But no, the 8th largest state in the US with over 10-million residents still lives under a 1930s era law regarding alcohol.

A great quote from the former US House of Representatives speaker, Tip O'neil: "All politics is local" I don't have a dog in this hunt, I used to live in Georgia, but not going back there anytime soon; but its time to take off the boxing gloves and start hitting the politicians that don't want the free market. Its time to advertise their views against the free market to the voters in their districts. Get a letter and phone campaign going. Unfortunately, going negative works in politics. So paint the status quo protectors as anti-consumer, against job growth, backwards and ill informed. How about a red Chinese flag with a picture of the Senate leaders against the free market: Voiceover: " Communist Red China and the Leaders of the GA Senate are on the same page, saying no to freedom!" Finance candidates to run against them in primary races. Cultivate friends and go head to head with your enemies.

Great way to explain the situation. I've been following this closely and have sent a few emails to my different reps. I didn't hear that the new bill that was sent back to the Senate from the House had been reduce even further. Sad to hear that.

If anyone is familiar with the brewpub 5seasons, I read that the owner wanted to open a brewery but if the bill didn't pass that he'd move that business to TN probably.

That's the reason they called it the Beer Jobs bill. Businesses would have created jobs. But now they will either leave or not create them at all.

Back