recipe suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuf

Reaction score
I’ve made a few batches of apfelwein and graff, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a cider recipe to try next. Everyone enjoys the graff, but even after 6+ months of aging the apfelwein made me feel like I was handing out prison wine. Some of the woodchuck clones in the recipe database looked pretty good, but not all of them have ratings.

You could try a fruit cider, it'll give you something new to try and you'll have to use a secondary for good flavor, so it'll teach you a thing or two in the process.

An apple and pear blend cider might tickle your fancy too - use apple juice and tinned pears. The flavour's very unique and very tasty!

Also, there's a toffee apple cider in my sig, which is very tasty and easy! :)

I've done quite a few ciders based on the following loose formula:

4 gallons of juice
1 gallon of dark, sweetened tea (1 gallon of water, 1-2 oz vanilla extract, 0.75 oz black tea, a pound or 2 of molasses/dark candi sugar/brown sugar/caramelized honey)
Irish ale yeast

The results are all in that "graff" kind of family, but have their own interesting nuances.

The best thing to do would be to look through the recipe section and find something that catches your eye, there are some really great recipes on there.

Thanks everyone, the fruit and tea suggestions are really good. Like I said in my first post, I looked through the recipe database but very few recipes have ratings.

jwynia - have you used DME in the tea instead of any of the fully fermentable sugars that you listed?

I was born and raised in SC, so the sweet tea and apple juice is looking the best so far. Keep 'em coming...

Sure. With DME or LME (tried both), you venture much closer to graff, but basically, the tea + flavorful sugar is a formula that works fairly well in all of the attempts I've made.

Back