Blue Moon Grand Cru

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mezak1gd

Reaction score
I just got a 750ml bottle of this for christmas. Evidently brewed specifically because there is a blue moon on New Years Eve this year, so its not just a winter seasonal. 8.3% ABV so they're not kidding around. Just wondering if anybody's tried this, and its a legit beer.

There's a review on Beer Advocate if you want to take a look. To me it looks like the only way to compare it is by comparing it to it's non-Grand Cru version. So my guess is that your opinion of this beer will be based on what you normally think of the beer.

I like Blue Moon but I hated the grand cru. Way too expensive for the quality

Yah I assumed that but I got it from my mom who doesn't really know anything about beer except that I brew it. So I appreciated the gesture. Still, is this even representative of the style. I'm just getting into brewing and learning about beer and want to know what I'm tasting before I drink it.

I haven't had the beer, but I understand it to be a higher-alcohol version of the regular Blue Moon -- perhaps the same flavors more pronounced as well.

At any rate, hats off to Blue Moon for what seems to be a very clever marketing campaign for this New Year's.

Damn I got this for New Year's Eve. I enjoyed Celis Grand Cru and wanted to see how this one compares. I like regular Blue Moon though, so that might help.

Yah I assumed that but I got it from my mom who doesn't really know anything about beer except that I brew it. So I appreciated the gesture. Still, is this even representative of the style. I'm just getting into brewing and learning about beer and want to know what I'm tasting before I drink it.
I would say yes, it is pretty representative for the style, but so is the cheaper Blue Moon. Orange, coriander, wheat, etc. are basically all you need and if it has fruity qualities to it and a yeasty sediment with a cloudy pour it should match up. Not worth the money, but it's not terrible.

I bought it and enjoyed it. I'm not sure if the price to quality ratio was good. It does taste like a Blue Moon but more like a Blue Moon x2.

Grand Cru is not a style. It is simply a wine term moved over to the beer world. With beer it is usually what a brewery considers to be their best offering.

As a test, try Blue Moon Grand Cru, and Rodenbach Grand Cru back to back.

BlueMoon is a typical american take on the style > over-spiced. Theres something to be said for being subtle.

Hoegaarden Original White Ale is the real deal.

They make a Hoegaarden Grand Cru if you want to do a side by side test, Rodenbach Grand Cru isn't even the same style of beer--its a Flanders Red Ale.

I bought it and enjoyed it. I'm not sure if the price to quality ratio was good. It does taste like a Blue Moon but more like a Blue Moon x2.

That's what I thought when I shared a bottle with a friend the other night. By my third sip of the stuff I was certain I could make it better and fresher. No real criticism of it other than the price, but let's just say I was a lot more impressed by Sam Adams Utopia as brew-craft.

As a matter of fact, I plan to attempt the style after I do a weizenbock and a steam brew.

I enjoy the regular Blue Moon offering quite often when out with the family. It's readily accessible in all the chain places they like. It's infinitely sweeter than all the other Belgians I like but I have a sweet tooth.

I just did not like the Grand Cru, at all.

That's what I thought when I shared a bottle with a friend the other night. By my third sip of the stuff I was certain I could make it better and fresher. No real criticism of it other than the price, but let's just say I was a lot more impressed by Sam Adams Utopia as brew-craft.

As a matter of fact, I plan to attempt the style after I do a weizenbock and a steam brew.

I have to point out that the Utopias is like what, $150 a bottle versus 10 or so for this? Hardly a fair comparison.

I picked up a bottle because SWMBO likes the normal Blue Moon, and she was interested in this. Since I just bought 3 bottles of *****'s Brew I picked this one up for her. Will post thoughts when we drink it. Though since it's unfiltered, I may try harvesting some yeast.

Holy resurrected thread, Batman! I spent several minutes going "but there's no calendar blue moon until August! What are you on about?"

Back