Cooler Manifold Slot size and spacing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You really need to be more specific for someone to provide an adequate answer to your question. Things that should be considered assuming that this a drain manifold and not a sparging manifold/rig.

1. What shape is the cooler?
2. How large is the manifold?
3. What method of sparging will be utilized?
4. What material is the manifold to be made of?

These factors will change the fluid flow dynamics through the MT, and must be considered before any recommendation can be made.

I put an approximate 1/8" slot (width of the saw I was using) every 1 inch for a 60 qt cooler. It works just fine.

FYI - if you have a dremel use that instead of a saw. You go through a lot of those little discs but you get much better control over the cuts. Also, the cuts are cleaner and a little thinner.

Well, if you want the specifics:

Its a 48 Quart Rectangular Cooler 19" long by 10.5" wide by 10" deep.

the manifold is copper and is approximately 16" x 8.5" made from 1/2" tubing.

I will most likely be batch sparging for now. Once we get another keg will will begin our 3 tier system with a RIMS setup.

This will be used as the drain filter during the mash.

I did the dremel disc method and every 1/4". I marked the 1/2 copper at the halfway point with a permanent pen so I wouldn't cut too far.

I've got a 10 gallon drink cooler and with 3-4ft of tube on the end of the ball valve to create a good siphon there is very little wasted liquid at the bottom after it is fully drained. I don't think a stainless braid would drain the cooler as well.

+1 for batch method. Why build when you can batch?

Everything I have read about the different temp. levels for protein release, enzyme release, etc has said I won't need it for the malts available today. I agree... Why build a huge system when I can batch sparge just as effectively.

Thanks for the info guys!

Latest posts

Back