Hello..anyone home?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pommeau

Reaction score
Thought I'd introduce myself (enough lurking around..)

Always liked the low alcohol farmhouse cider when I visited my uncle's place.
Said to my dad, "Too bad we cant get this stuff here easily, we'd have to make it ourself. But then we'd need a press...ahhh well nevermind".

Couple months later, I got a call. Pop built a press. So we've been limited to the apples I can source locally (Stayman, N Spy, jonathan, delicious, Granny etc). Started first batch with Champagne yeast (took, 1 year to no longer be kerosene, and two years before that stuff hit its stride). Now use mostly spontaneous ferments.

Have great luck using "mystery" apples from friends yards, along with purchased apples, and prefer natural fermentations. Started out with one day of pressing, now it's probably one big day and two smaller ones of pressing. The big day is about 16bushels, smaller days 4-5 bushels. Biggest day was 20 bushels, man that was a long day.

This will be year 7, and will be the first year keeving with PME, so we'll see how it goes.

Just wanted to introduce myself, and say thanks for stockpiling knowledge and experience. :mug:

Pommeau

mmm . . . nothing like a farmhouse cider after a long day of work . . . kind of like how a good pommeau helps digestion after a good mean with family/friends (but that's a different forum).

Latest posts

Back