Is hardware store bought pvc safe for cooled wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jewsh

Reaction score
I am thinking of building a in-line aeration system. Like everybody, I want to make it as cheap and efficient as possible. I am Planing on building it so it can be easily dissembled.
I am wondering if the material can be sanitized with a acid based solution, or other Sanitizer without affectin. the pvc. Does pvc impart off flavours ect.
Any info will be much appreciated.
Of course, when my project is complete, and I find that it works well, I will post my creation on here.

Use CPVC, not standard PVC. CPVC is used for water lines and does not have the toxins that PVC contains.

So I can use pvc then? How much do you think a 3"x 12" piece of copper would be. I would prefer either material to be threaded on both ends so I can cap them.

I am planing on using my son's old nebulizer for the air, with three ports in the case, without stones. Do you think that will infuse enough air into solution? I can't afford o2 yet. I believe my flow rate through the system will be somewhat slow. This may seem like a overkill project, but I like to tinker.

So I can use pvc then? How much do you think a 3"x 12" piece of copper would be. I would prefer either material to be threaded on both ends so I can cap them.

3" x 12"? that's huge and won't be easy to find a a local hardware store.

How exactly are you building this thing?

edit: for what it's worth, I find that transferring my wort into the fermenter with a nice free-falling stream does a very good job aerating the wort, but I think gadgets are cool, so I'm interesting in what you are making here.

I am planing on using my son's old nebulizer for the air, with three ports in the case, without stones. Do you think that will infuse enough air into solution? I can't afford o2 yet. I believe my flow rate through the system will be somewhat slow. This may seem like a overkill project, but I like to tinker.

I'd use stones to aerate. The finer the better. Big bubbles of air don't really dissolve much 02. This is all about surface area and you are much better off using the best stones you can get. If you can get 2micron stones that would work really well, though they may require some pressure.

A free falling stream has worked great for me as well.
If my creation works, I will post pics.

It is basically a cylinder that wort enters, air will be pumped into said cylinder, then worth exits to fermentor. I will put release valves in so it does not explode.

2010-10-29012800.jpg

2010-10-29012808.jpg

2010-10-29012814.jpg

2010-10-29012832.jpg

Here is a video of it in action...

It seemed to work fantastic. I may add oygen dispursing stones later on, but this was easy, fun and cheap to build.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I went a little overkill. It looks somewhat of something you may see in a Meth lab, but it works for me.
If I would have searched online, instead of creating it in my head, I would have seen that yours would have been sufficient. oh well.

Back