Late Season Vanilla Pumpkin Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJDMusic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so my first mistake was making my pumpkin ale too late into the season, so I am just now starting to drink it a week before Thanksgiving. Second mistake, I wanted to add a hint of vanilla flavor to the beer during secondary so I added a vanilla bean. I sliced the bean down the length of it and left it in for one week.

Holy crap! This bean really gave off a lot of flavor. The beer still smells like a pumpkin and a bit of the spices I used, but that vanilla aftertaste comes in like a freight train.

How many/much vanilla bean(s) do you guys use for say.....a vanilla beer, or how about a beer with just a hint of vanilla, or how much is just under the noticeable bar?

I understand a lot of people on here use extract. Same questions apply, how much make a vanilla beer, how much for a hint, and how much is undetectable? Thanks.

Are you drinking it really early? In my pumpkin ale the spices were wayyyyy up front after 2 weeks in the bottle, after 3 weeks it was awesome. I bet it mellows out after a few more weeks, give it time.

To answer your vanilla question- I don't know, but- according to a recipe for double chocolate oatmeal stout, I plan to split 2 vanilla beans and add to secondary for 1 week before I bottle...

Back