First try at hard apple cider...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprillia

Reaction score
Now i know this method is very cheap and prolly wrong in many ways but it was on a whim from a story someone told me. im just woudering if what i made is safe to drink and is alcoholic.

What i did was i took 3 gallons of apple juice boiled them, mixed in about 10 cups of sugar and one pack of yeast (it had 3 small packs i used all 3) mixed it all up in a 5 gallon jug and let sit for the last 5 months or so with a napkin covering the opening. now it is quite clear and small similar to vodka or somthing of that nature. is doesnt quite taste like anything, and it kinda bitter. is this safe? and is it alcoholic?

Safe? Yes. Tasty? Probably not.

For starters, never book cider! If you want to dissolve the sugar, slowly heat up some of your cider, or water, with sugar in it and heat until it is dissolved. Then mix the heated cider/sugar mixture with the unheated cider in your carboy, pitch yeast, and let sit.

After a while, your fermentation will slow down, depending on the temperature you ferment at and how much sugar you add. Once that happens, rack your cider to a secondary carboy to get it off of the sediment (lees). I left a wine sit on the sediment for a few months and it absorbed a yeasty flavor... It wasn't very tasty. In the secondary, it probably won't be done fermenting yet, or there is still yeast and other apple particles suspended in your cider, as well as CO2. Give it a few weeks for everything to drop out of suspension. Home brew supply store sell things to help this along as well. Rack again if need be.

At this point, you can add some priming sugar, bottle for sparkling cider, or let it sit and age for a still cider. Just be aware of bottle bombs, or overcarbonated bottles. They can literally blow up, or cause a geyser of cider to come out of the bottle when you crack one open...it is messy...

I would definitely encourage you to read up recipes and look into the cider forum for more detailed steps than this, but this should help steer you in the right direction.

Latest posts

Back