Steam kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethwar

Reaction score
Just acquired a 20 gallon steam kettle in excellent shape. It is a three phase powered unit and was wondering if it is worth it to try and wire it for my house or possibly try to sell it and complete the rest of my brewery setup? Does anyone know what it could be worth? It is a Vulcan VEP-20 steam jacketed self contained boil kettle.

It's not likely that you have 3-phase power at your home and it would be costly to have it brought in. I have no idea what that kettle might be worth, but I would think a lot. I would try to sell it and use the proceeds to buy a conventional kettle.

Just acquired a 20 gallon steam kettle in excellent shape. It is a three phase powered unit and was wondering if it is worth it to try and wire it for my house or possibly try to sell it and complete the rest of my brewery setup? Does anyone know what it could be worth? It is a Vulcan VEP-20 steam jacketed self contained boil kettle.

I don't know this model specifically, but I looked at 10gal steam kettles a few years back for something unrelated to brewing and going price (new) was around $4k-$8k.

You dont need actual 3 phase anyway. You'd probably just be taking one leg off a 480 circuit to make 277 for the heater. 220V single phase will work for the heater if you wired it right. Is this a pilot boiler with a recirc pump that needs 3 phase power? If so you could retrofit it with a small single phase 220V or 110V motor.?

I have a 40 gallon vulcan kettle that I am in the process of switching to single phase. I haven't had much luck finding information on mine yet, but here is a fellow that did it.
http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/3phase.htm

I have the wiring diagrams for your unit I could email you also.

Depending on how cheap you got the 3-phase boil kettle, it might be worthwhile to just use a phase converter:

http://www.americanrotary.com/static-phase-converters.html

Here's a 3-8 hp rated unit for $130....not knowing how much your setup would require one would of course consult with the vendor.

I agree with him, but I'd like to add that you can make your own static phase converter for fairly cheap, depending on how electrically savvy you are.

Thanks everyone. This kettle was on its way into the trash before I could save it off my jobsite. I already have my boil setup with a keggle and propane burner so there really is no need for me to bother with converting this thing. I guess now I will try to sell it but not sure where to even start. It seriously is in near mint condition. I plan on using all money on brewhouse purchases ie. hot liquor tank, pump, hoses, counterflow etc. etc.

Back