pitching yeast into secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWildcat2U

Reaction score
first, here's my recipe:
15lb wildflower honey
8lb whole blackberries (which I removed 2 weeks in)
cote de blanc yeast
I added 1.5tsp DAP to the boil, and also 1 week in, degassing whenever it crossed my mind (3 or 4 times in the 3 weeks of primary)
OG was 1.084

Now, I'm wanting to rack this to secondary to put it on blackberry juice. I've checked gravity over the last 3 days, and it has held at .998 (12% abv), and a bit sweet for my taste, and lacking in blackberry flavor.

My thinking is I should go ahead and juice 3lb worth of blackberries, and DAP to my secondary, rack my mead on top, and also pitch some k-1119 to dry the mead out a bit.

Does this sound like a sound plan, or am I missing something?

Your gravity is 0.998 and it tastes sweet to you? :confused:
That's pretty much bone dry. I suppose you can try acclimating and pitching another yeast, but if you do, EC-1118 or Uvaferm 43 would be the best choices. I suppose you might drop the gravity to 0.995, but don't be shocked if this is as dry as it gets.

Perhaps giving it more berries with added acids and tannins will make the flavor more to your liking. Alternatively, you can try adding a little acid blend or tannin to a glass to see if some combination improves it.

I hope it turns out OK.

Medsen

I think what I'll wind up doing is racking onto the juice and give it time then. This is my first mead and the first time I've ever tasted one so green. Could have also seemed sweet due to the 3 glasses of IIPA I had before tasting it :drunk:
If it still seems sweet in a month or so I'll try tannins or acids.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back