Rice as an adjunct

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwibrewer

Reaction score
Going to give a honey lager a go this weekend, and I've been reading a bit about using rice as an adjunct in the mash so I figured I'd give it a go. The directions I've read say to gelatinize the rice on a boil for 30mins before adding to the mash. How much rice would be ok for a 5gal batch and should I add the water I've boiled the rice in? I guess I'll just take iodine tests to confirm complete conversion as I'm not too sure how long it'll take. I tried a few beers at a Chinese restaurant last night and quite a few listed rice as an ingredient, and all tasted great.

Yes, add the water _and_ the rice to the mash tun.

I prefer 30 minutes on a simmer, the point is to break open the starches so the enzymes can get at them. Get all the gooey glop in the tun also.

How much depends on how far you want to dry it out, and hwo good you feel about hitting your temps.

Maker's Mark (the bourbon people) use about 70% corn, 15% wheat and 15% malted barley. The last two numbers are actually 14 and 16, but I don't remember for sure which was which. The pointis that if your temperature control is professional grade you can use a metric ****ton of rice.

First time through you probably don't want to exceed 15 or 20% of total grains by weight. That is enough rice that you will need good temp control to get it converted, but also enough to change the character of your brew compared to all barley.

Don't worry about the purists. Adjunct use is a perfectly legitimate pursuit for homebrewers. No reason for rye, oats and wheat to be OK and then corn or rice to not be OK just because a commercially successful brewery happens to use them.

What I do is get the adjunct boil rolling during my acid rest, wait a little bit and then run a protein rest in the tun while the adjuncts in the other pot convert. When the time comes I dump the whole shebang into the tun and then heat the rest of the way up for sacc. rest.

FWIW Maker's Mark starts with the corn in the tun at one temp for however many hours, cool to a lower temp and add the wheat, then cool to a lower temp (probaby near 155F), and add the malted barley last for I think the tour guide said two hours. But their tuns are 11,000 gallons each.

Brewed on the weekend, all went well. with 1kg of honey 400g rice and about 2kg of grain and 1.5kg liquid extract I got a OG of 1055! Looking froward to drinking

Latest posts

Back