carbonation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Quick question, gents.

Bottled my beer last Saturday, cracked one open tonight (one week later) to give a taste-taste before bringing it down to my brother's tomorrow. I actually put it in the fridge last night (after only six days), which I know is going to stop all yeast activity.

Tastes good, all seems to be great, going to bring some down - but should I be concerned that after six days, there was zero carbonation? No fizz, no head, nada. I know, I know, "Patience, Grasshopper," just wondering if it is completely expected that the yeast seem to have done nothing yet.

Most likely nothing to worry about. Six days isn't usually long enough to see any carbonation. I had a porter, that at 14 days still was not carbonated. I was worried because I had it at the right temp (approx 72˚F). I gently shook all the bottles a couple of times over the next two weeks, and voila! Tried one at three weeks and it was ok, but it is amazing what happened over the fourth week! Perfection!

Give them a couple more weeks, make sure that they are kept in a slightly warm place between 70-75˚F, maybe give them a light shake to re-suspend the yeast, and you should be good to go.

John

Two weeks is minimum for a good carbonation and three is better still. This is why I went to kegs. I can have full carbonation (if the need arrises) overnight. It does still taste better after a week, but one week isn't three!

Latest posts

Back