Secondary - Quick question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad3529

Reaction score
Hello All-
I have 4 questions if anyone could answer please:

1.) I have a Cherry Wheat that I just transfered to the secondary after 10 days. How long should I keep it in there? Also, do you think it will clear up any....it is very very cloudy.

2.) I put 3 lbs. of cherries in the primary. Some advised to put into secondary only but it was after the fact. Do you think I will get any cherry flavor?

3.) I didnt do a hydrometer reading. Any idea of alc. content in this recipe:
1 Can Mutons Wheat 4lbs
2 lbs Spraymalt Extract Dry. Plain Extra Lt.
1 lb Plain Wheat Spray Extract Dry
3lbs Dark sweet cherries.

and last:
4.) Alc. content of this one thats in bottles:

4lbs. Mountmellick Irish Stout Extract
1lb Lactose
3 lbs Plain Dark Extract
10 Tablespoons Dry Herseys Chocolate

- I just bottled the Chocolate Milk Stout 3 days ago. What do you all figure - 1 month conditioning???? or more / less.

Thanks for all you help.:mug:

1) I'd leave it at least 14 days, probably won't clear much as wheat's have a lot of proteins in them and are meant to be cloudy.

2) Yes, you will still get some cherry flavor.

3+4) It is impossible to determine alcohol content without knowing both your OG and FG. Next time use your hydrometer, it is your friend.

A month sounds about right for a Milk Stout.

You should be able to estimate alcohol levels based on the standard OG predictions for your extracts and assuming you got to the lower end of your yeast's attenuation (% sugar conversion to alcohol). This thread discusses the calculations but doesn't mention the points for wheat extracts:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=36916

Was your stout made using liquid or dry extract? What type yeast did you use for each batch?

Hi Trencher-
For the Choc. Milk Stout - I used 4lbs Liquid Extract and 3lbs Dry. Yeast: White Labs Liquid English Ale Yeast.

For the Cherry Wheat:
Dry yeast - Ale Safale US-05 ( thats what it said on the pack & the brew store recommended it).
Thanks for both your coments Trencher & TheJadedDog.

Take care.

Latest posts

Back