Some interesting new malts....Weyermann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a sinking feeling that these won't be in LHBS any time soon. Might have to order through Country Malt Group somehow. You have to figure a lot of LHBS order through LD Carlson and then LD Carlson orders probably from Country Malt or maybe direct. Either way it has to filter down.....

Does country malt carry Weyermann..? I didn't think so or at least I've never seen them as a supplier on their web site or in their catalog. I wish they did and I wish they carry Crisp as well. If I'm wrong please let me know because that's where I order all my base malts and I love to be able to have a wider selection then 8 maltsers they list.

You need that oak smoked wheat malt for making gratzer. It has a very different flavor from beech smoked malt. After reading the link I see they say that. If you can get your hands on the stuff or oak smoke your own wheat malt a gratzer is definitely worth trying. Very interesting blend of flavors. One of my favorite beers for sure.

You need that oak smoked wheat malt for making gratzer. It has a very different flavor from beech smoked malt. After reading the link I see they say that. If you can get your hands on the stuff or oak smoke your own wheat malt a gratzer is definitely worth trying. Very interesting blend of flavors. One of my favorite beers for sure.

I've never had a gratzer, but I have had some smoked hefeweizens (and made one a few years back). It's a style that I like quite a bit, but I understand that it's not for everyone (think you really want to be careful with the yeast phenals). I'm really interested in making that again with the oak-smoked malt. A while back I was thinking about home-smoking some malt with oak (I've got some chunks kicking around the shop), but I never quite got around to it.

I've never had a gratzer, but I have had some smoked hefeweizens (and made one a few years back). It's a style that I like quite a bit, but I understand that it's not for everyone (think you really want to be careful with the yeast phenals). I'm really interested in making that again with the oak-smoked malt. A while back I was thinking about home-smoking some malt with oak (I've got some chunks kicking around the shop), but I never quite got around to it.

Gratzer is a bit different. You want to use a neutral yeast strain so you don't have an issue with phenols or esters mixing with the smoke in a bad way. You also use a lot of hops and although bitterness and smoke generally do not go well together they go together exceedingly well in this beer style (and I am no hophead).

Wow. Interesting stuff. For the curious and lazy, I pulled this off the first relevant site on a Google search. "Grätzer Bier, a rough, bitter beer, brewed from 100% wheat malt with an intense smoke and hop flavour. The green malt undergoes smoking during virtually the whole drying process, is highly dried and has a strong aroma in addition to the smoked flavour. An infusion mash is employed. Hopping rate: for 1 Zentner (100 kg) of malt, 3 kg hops. Gravity just 7º [Plato]. Fermentation is carried out in tuns at a temperature of 15 to 20º C."
--“Bierbrauerei" by M. Krandauer, 1914, page 301.

Gratzer is a bit different. You want to use a neutral yeast strain so you don't have an issue with phenols or esters mixing with the smoke in a bad way. You also use a lot of hops and although bitterness and smoke generally do not go well together they go together exceedingly well in this beer style (and I am no hophead).

The only descriptions I have found of this style are really some reinterpretations. Sounds like it was originally very low gravity (under 1.03), although some brewers are making the style at around 1.045. I've seen reference to "apple" notes in the historical style, which I would assume is yeast-driven but which some brewers (or at least one) is using cinnamon and allspice to imply. From what I can gather, at least some of the "gratzers" being made today don't really seem to be very traditional.

Where have you had the style? Sounds like you might have found someone making a more-authentic version.

I take back my comment about Country Malt. It does not appear they carry Weyermann. I just hope that I can get some of the abbey malts or the oak smoked wheat malt for experimentation. A brewer friend showed me the new malts so I could possibly source some from him in the future.

The only descriptions I have found of this style are really some reinterpretations. Sounds like it was originally very low gravity (under 1.03), although some brewers are making the style at around 1.045. I've seen reference to "apple" notes in the historical style, which I would assume is yeast-driven but which some brewers (or at least one) is using cinnamon and allspice to imply. From what I can gather, at least some of the "gratzers" being made today don't really seem to be very traditional.

Where have you had the style? Sounds like you might have found someone making a more-authentic version.

I've never had a commercial version, only my own recreation from notes in Brewing with Wheat, some translated documents I found on Google and some polish websites (translated courtesy of Google). I've got a recipe in the wheat forum where some Polish brewers weighed in with some info they got from the last brewery in Poland that commercially produced it. I think I overdid the gravity but otherwise I tried to adhere to the traditional notes as much as I could.

Aw yeah! I've been in love with the Schlenkerla Oak-Smoked doppelbock, and even though it's not a wheat beer, that oak-smoked wheat could be great!

Wow, cool! I'm excited about the smoked wheat and the abbey malt. Hope Midwest Supplies or Northern Brewer gets these in stock.

Anybody got a good link to a smoked hefeweizen?

Smokiness level in this malt is even lower than in weyermann's smoked barley malt.

I was able to grab some carabelge and carasomething else to try. I was looking for the abbey malt but it was out. The owner looked into ordering oak smoked wheat malt while I was there but it's not on the Brewer's Supply website through LD Carlson.

Back