This is why we should all be drinking beer....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you know? Were you there? Maybe the source you have that says these quotes are in error are in themselves in error..... How do you know?

There is truth itself, and then there is what we 'believe' to be truth...
:D

Don't make me try and get an actual copy of the 1779 letter. ;) :D

For the record, here, in a letter addressed to André Morellet in 1779, is what Benjamin Franklin actually did say:

Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy.

(Source: Isaacson, Walter. Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. New York: Simon and Schuster, 2003. p.374.)

Don't make me try and get an actual copy of the 1779 letter. ;) :D

So that's the only thing they claim he said on the subject? He 'never' spoke of beer again?

So how do you know that 'that' letter is actually from him (at not some bozo/bozette that at some point just attributed it to him), and that no other letters, or testimonials from those who heard him speak throughout his life might contain 'additional' statements from the man on the subject?

I find it hard to believe that a man who drank only spoke or wrote about it 'one' time in his life...

I'm just sayin'....

How do you know AZ_IPA doesn't ALSO have a time machine? He does seem to know an awful lot about them.

For that matter, how does 'HE' know he has a time machine? He might have eaten a piece of bread with some weird bacteria on it and imagined the whole thing, no?

I mean really, if you consider that all of the real matter in the known universe probably could not fill a thimble, seeing as everything is made up of molecules, atoms, electrons, and smaller stuff that is almost 'all' non matter space held in suspension by forces no one even remotely understands... It's all a damn illusion anyways!

And how do you know there really is a guy selling Tee shirts at ventura beach?

There is truth, and then there is what be believe to be truth... more often than not, these two things are not in harmony... and 'never' are they in 'pure' harmony...

ROTFL

I've seen 'em ;)

But have you seen him 'today?'

And how do you know you were not 'imagining' him?

How do you know it was really a 'him?' Ventura is roughly half way between San Fran and Sandy Eggo (that is, if those places really exist in the first place)

See, now we're having 'fun!'
:tank:

All these questions I ponder is the 'real' reason we should be drinking beer! (If beer exists, that is)

65,000 MPH earth around the sun

+ 483,000 MPH sun around the galaxy

EDIT: oh, and don't forget the earth spinning around 1,000 MPH. I leave the speed of out galaxy through the universe to our resident cosmologists.

All motion is relative and speeds subjective so I really don't think this would matter.

Great, now we've ventured off into postmodernism...

nothing can be proven or disproven

what a way to live

No, I'm not a post modernist.. They believe that something is 'true for you' if you believe it to be true.. That there is 'your truth, and there is 'my truth'.. and that both truths are viable even though they are completely opposite... That is illogical at best, completely insane at worst..... For something is true because it is true... What we 'believe' about something in no way affects what it actually is...

I believe that truth stands on it's own, but what we believe about it is corrupted to one degree or another.... Our task in life is to 'seek' that truth, and test what we are told about truth along the way... Healthy skepticism... (kinda like the little cliche AZ posted, but I think he was being to generous for todays climate)

I also believe that history is is written in such a way that is often corrupted by the agendas of those who wrote it...

I mean all you have to do is to look at the way news is reported on what happened last week or last month, to instinctively know that you 'must' question 'everything' that you have been told.. You must chew it up, regurgitate it, smell it, taste it, take it apart and put it back together, and compare all that against what you experience and then run it through the filter of what you believe and what is logical.. Then you draw conclusions, and must question even those... continually testing them to see if they stand up...

For the moment you are convinced that you absolutely 'know' something with 100% assuredness, then that is the moment you most certainly do not... The best we can do is to get a 'reasonable' assuredness about what we beleive to be true...

But I digress... I'm really just having 'fun' being a smart ass (it's one of the other things I do besides brewing)
:mug:

It's good to be the Ming.

Good call.

ming.jpg

"I know Iron Chefs and Ming is no Iron Chef"

Ben Franklin

"I know Iron Chefs and Ming is no Iron Chef"

Ben Franklin

"Company is a lot like fish, give it to the Admin of HomeBrewTalk.com, he'll cook it up, Asian infusion style." - Ben Franklin

You know, I have heard this tired argument for years.. that franklin said the quote, and that no he didn't, he said the other one instead, and that no, he said both as well as other things..

Personally, I could care less whether he said what I have quoted or not...

It's a 'truth' that I happen to agree with.. and I have no problem attributing it to a man from amongst a group of men whom I respect and admire for having the courage to allow themselves to be used by their Creator to start a revolution, and then write, and enact a document which has resulted in the greatest, most free, most noble, most gracious country and people the world has ever known...

because I am directly benefiting from that... including being allowed to freely brew some awesome suds at home so that I can toast my glass in agreement to what Mr. Franklin may or may not have said... Whether he said that word for word or not, it definitely embodied the spirit of the man and his peers of the time.. and generation upon generation to follow..

GOD BLESS THE USA! :ban:

You know, I have heard this tired argument for years.. that franklin said the quote, and that no he didn't, he said the other one instead, and that no, he said both as well as other things..

Personally, I could care less whether he said what I have quoted or not...

It's a 'truth' that I happen to agree with.. and I have no problem attributing it to a man from amongst a group of men whom I respect and admire for having the courage to allow themselves to be used by their Creator to start a revolution, and then write, and enact a document which has resulted in the greatest, most free, most noble, most gracious country and people the world has ever known...

because I am directly benefiting from that... including being allowed to freely brew some awesome suds at home so that I can toast my glass in agreement to what Mr. Franklin may or may not have said... Whether he said that word for word or not, it definitely embodied the spirit of the man and his peers of the time.. and generation upon generation to follow..

GOD BLESS THE USA! :ban:

Yawn, get back to that time machine talk, that was some good ****! :p

Yawn, get back to that time machine talk, that was some good ****! :p

LOL...

Hey, I edited my sig so as not to offend the purists who are positive what was said and what was not.... well, because 'they know'.... I hope it is more acceptable now...:D

Let us continue with the most important fact that is being over look by all you nay saying post modernistic hippies. It has been established that Ben Franklin was indeed a time traveler, that anything thinkable can in fact be attributed to him without any reasonable doubt, but most importantly is that Ben Franklin has traveled through time, and indeed placed himself on American currency. There seems to be no other explanation other than that he must indeed be a Time Traveling Pimp.

Hence EXHIBIT A.
hilarious_Hipster_Tattoos3.jpg

:drunk:

Wow. I'm honored that I made it to your sig, r8. This has only occured one other time since I've been a member.

It does however, lose a bit being out of context. Not that it was so funny in context either. (evil grin here)

Wow. I'm honored that I made it to your sig, r8. This has only occured one other time since I've been a member.

It does however, lose a bit being out of context. Not that it was so funny in context either. (evil grin here)

I think it's pretty funny out of context.. considering the venue and all... Humor is an objective thing.. and mine can be a bit warped and obscure sometimes... often downright slapstick/silly...

well when i posted this thread i did not think that it would get such a response...nor did i think it would spark such a reaction.......i must say that i have enjoied reading all the comment and have laughed my a&& off at some of them......loved the time traveling....

Back