Dry Hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sansbrew24

Reaction score
I just recently picked up a kit for an american extra pale ale and it is sitting in the primary. For this batch I wanted to make something with a big hoppy flavor and aroma. The batch already called for one ounce of cascade at 60 and two at 1 during the boil. I am thinking about adding a dry hop of another ounce of cascade in the secondary. Is this going to be too overpowering or am i ok to do this. Also, how long should i leave this in the secondary for. Ive heard a week or two is sufficient for dry hopping.

It all depends on your taste. The 2 ounces with 1 minute left is very simlar to dry hopping, but for my taste you can never have enough hops. Give it a shot.

As for the length of time, 1-2 weeks is more then enough time. Anything longer and the aroma will dissipate.

2 Oz at end of boil will be more than enough. From my sampling of various brews from local breweries around here, I've found that Cascades can get almost unbearable when overused in flavor,aroma,dryhopping stages. If you insist on adding something, I'd use Liberty for dryhopping.

If you have ever tasted a beer and said "too hoppy," maybe, just maybe, save that ounce for another beer - or split up the Cascades to 1.5 oz at 1 min and .5 oz dry hop. If you have never uttered a complaint on a beer's hop intensity...

do it.

Remember, the aroma from dry-hopping will (sadly) fade over time. So I'd go with lots of dry-hops, as after a few months the effect will have greatly diminished.

Back