Unusual Case of Circumstances for Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zgardener

Reaction score
So i brewed a California Common/Steam beer sort of on accident (didnt have the refrigeration available for primary) but I have that now lagering in the fridge around 34. But that's not the question...

The question is, I reused that yeast to make a Maibock/Helles Lager. I allowed fermentation to start and go for about 24 hours then Austin got hit with a cold spell of sorts, so I moved it outside and wrapped it in a shirt that I am keeping as soaked as possible at any given time. the temp has been fluctuating from 35-60 over the past few days. what kind of result can I expect from this yeast?

Again, in summary, it is reused yeast from a Cali Common fermentation, allowed to begin around 70 degrees, then moved outside and kept wrapped in a soaked shirt and has been subject to ranging temps from 35-60. Will this have any negative effect on the flavor?
I also plan to lager it for 4-6 weeks after I allow it to rest again at room temp for a few days.

So i brewed a California Common/Steam beer sort of on accident (didnt have the refrigeration available for primary) but I have that now lagering in the fridge around 34. But that's not the question...

The question is, I reused that yeast to make a Maibock/Helles Lager. I allowed fermentation to start and go for about 24 hours then Austin got hit with a cold spell of sorts, so I moved it outside and wrapped it in a shirt that I am keeping as soaked as possible at any given time. the temp has been fluctuating from 35-60 over the past few days. what kind of result can I expect from this yeast?

Again, in summary, it is reused yeast from a Cali Common fermentation, allowed to begin around 70 degrees, then moved outside and kept wrapped in a soaked shirt and has been subject to ranging temps from 35-60. Will this have any negative effect on the flavor?
I also plan to lager it for 4-6 weeks after I allow it to rest again at room temp for a few days.

What yeast strain did you use?
Depending on the strain, you may have some extra esters, but it should taste ok. The most likely result will be a stalled or stuck fermentation, rather than bad flavors, though. Yeast don't like temperature fluctuations, but as long as it didn't get cold fast enough to slow or stop fermentation, it should be alright.

What yeast strain did you use?
Depending on the strain, you may have some extra esters, but it should taste ok. The most likely result will be a stalled or stuck fermentation, rather than bad flavors, though. Yeast don't like temperature fluctuations, but as long as it didn't get cold fast enough to slow or stop fermentation, it should be alright.

It was SafLager S23
Dry, the guy at AHS said that as long as I pitched cool sweet wort on top of the yeast cake right after i had racked off the previous batch that I would be golden, but we didn't discuss anything about temp fluctuations. I was getting worried because it was bubbling very rapidly then after the move seemed to slow down or even stop, but last time I checked I was getting about 3 bubbles every 2 seconds, so it looks like theyre happy

Back