Adding Bitterness after Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KopyKat

Reaction score
Through an error I am too embarrassed to mention I have come up 6 IBUs short on bitterness in my porter. I would like bump it up in the fermenter but am not sure the best way. I would imagine boiling some hops in water would do it but a search did not find what I needed. Any ideas?

Expected is 35 and actual is 29. It is already at the low end of what I want. I would really like to add the 6 points.

I'd try making a tea by boiling a small a few cups of water with the additional hops. Its worth a shot, eh?

To get full extraction I would need to boil for 60 minutes and the volume of water would have to be taken into account as well. Because I need to keep the volume down, I would have to reduce the tea to about a quart or less.

I was hoping someone had a formula for doing this be that may not exist.

The hop shot may work in this case if you are only looking for 6IBU, but I don't recommend it. It is designed more for a flavor aroma addition. I boiled mine with my priming sugar trying to get more bitterness out of it, but didn't get anything to noticeable.

Well, I've seen hop extracts that are specifically designed for more of a flavor/aroma addition, but the MoreBeer product pretty clearly looks like it's designed for bitterness. Thirty-five bucks, though!

You could leave the fermenter in my first wife's house for a while. All that bitterness is sure to infuse itself into your beer.

Back