• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

pin and ball lock Kegs for under $30

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anarchos

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has seen this post or even if this is any good, they have 5 gal corny kegs for pin lock $22.99 and ball lock 28.99 on ebay, they are located in Florida. It seems expansive to me, it says it would cost me $37 in shipping to get it to NC. I mean I could buy a keg from homebrew store online for the same if not cheaper after shipping.

pin lock http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-gallon-Co...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c212236c#shId

ball lock http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-gallon-ba...851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cd40c2cb

I dont know maybe someone down in FL can get a sweet deal. Here ya go guys :mug:

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this post or even if this is any good, they have 5 gal corny kegs for pin lock $22.99 and ball lock 28.99 on ebay, they are located in Florida. It seems expansive to me, it says it would cost me $37 in shipping to get it to NC. I mean I could buy a keg from homebrew store online for the same if not cheaper after shipping.

pin lock http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-gallon-Co...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19c212236c#shId

ball lock http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-gallon-ba...851?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19cd40c2cb

I dont know maybe someone down in FL can get a sweet deal. Here ya go guys :mug:

I suspect they're giving a good deal on the kegs but making up some of their money on the shipping. I recently ordered 4 kegs from Northern Brewer and they only charged me their flat rate shipping of $9.

The kegs are also non-reconditioned so you're going to need to spend another $5 on a rebuild kit.

Its a thing a lot of ebay vendors do to keep from paying a percentage of profits to ebay, because ebay does not take a share of the shipping costs.

no no... Paypal does take a percentage now... they just changed it ti a flat rate of 9%... includes TOTAL cost... plus paypal fees... Main reason I dont sell anything there anymore

If that's the case why don't they sell it for like 10 bucks and make it up in shipping so ebay takes less

Haven't you seen the items for $1 and $99 shipping?

Ebay changed their policy a while back and started charging commission on shipping fees

Haven't you seen the items for $1 and $99 shipping?

Ebay changed their policy a while back and started charging commission on shipping fees

Five or six years ago I bought a sweet painting on eBay I still have hanging in my living room for $0.01 (and $99.99 shipping) :D

I bought 6 on Thursday. Shipping sucks only ordering a couple, shipping went from $40 for 1 to $45 to ship 6. That's less than $30 a keg and local hbs want $45 for refurbished. I will let you guys now what condition they are in

Yeah, ebay sucks anymore. They got you coming and going. It's about 20% off the top now and you still pay to insert the ad.
First guy that comes along with a decent alternative to ebay makes a billion $.

I bought 6 on Thursday. Shipping sucks only ordering a couple, shipping went from $40 for 1 to $45 to ship 6. That's less than $30 a keg and local hbs want $45 for refurbished. I will let you guys now what condition they are in

That is why I need to find some friends that brew, to go in on things like this.

They almost got me. I sent the ebay seller this email today. I'll let you know if I get a response.

--
Dear mceverdistributors,

What's up with the bogus shipping prices? You've got alot of people that would buy from you but your ridiculous shipping prices put a negative light on your business. Just letting you know your kind of the "business to stay away from" in the homebrewing community because of that.
- sawwas72

FYI. The ebay seller responds to emails and will sell outside ebay. Same prices. Shipping isn't too bad either. He was less than $10 a keg half way across the country for shipping.

You should look into Beverage Elements on Ebay. Their seller ID is beverageelements2009. I got 2 ball locks, reconditioned and tested, shipped to my house for just under $100.

Shipped fast and as promised.

no no... Paypal does take a percentage now... they just changed it ti a flat rate of 9%... includes TOTAL cost... plus paypal fees... Main reason I dont sell anything there anymore

yeah, you make 35.00 on an item, it took 3.00 to sell it and then g-damn paypal takes another 4.00 to transfer it.

you get screwed, they have it all figured out and you're fcked

Yes, ebay does own paypal. And their fees are bordering on criminal. Ebay used to be 3% sell fee, and paypal used to be 3% (like credit cards). Now they are 8.5% and 9%. Almost 20% fee to sell on there. Boycott them.

Sorry, been tied up the last few days. Kegs arrived last week. They were all holding pressure. They had no dents, only one had a label, 4 of them had handles in great condition, 2 had red handles that were starting to break down (I guess) they had that chalky feel on your hands. I have not had a chance to tear them apart and clean them, but when I pushed the poppet to see if they had pressure, you could smeel the soda syrup, no chemical smell like they were used for non-food safe purposes. All in all, even thought I like ball locks, this was a great deal for less than $30 a keg shipped.

I bought 10 Pin locks all in great condition. I went and picked them up and they pressure tested them while I was there. The guy did tell me that the shipping calculator is messed up and that you can call direct to them. If you buy in bulk you can also try to get them slightly cheaper. I believe he told me $29 for ball locks. They are good guys.

Just so you guys know. I bought 10 pin locks from them a few months back and can say I got a great deal shipped to MO. He sold them to me for $22 per keg with $50 shipping for all 10. It was a great deal for me. They all are in good shape. Cleaned up real well an hold pressure. If I need anymore I will certainly be going back to these guys.

glad to hear all the good reviews. Just ordered 4 ball locks today, came out to 38 apiece after shipping. can't wait to get them!

Large items often sell cheap on eBay, like the other poster said "they make up for it on shipping. Example. You can find cases of 12 oz bottles for 10-15 $ but shipping is 30$ lol

Could you PM me the vendors e-mail so I don't have top circumvent e-bay directly?

EDIT:

Their info can be found easily if you do a little sleuthing on the ebay ad. I'll refrain from posting the actual e-mail so they don't get loads of "wanna buys". If you really want 'em you'll find it.

Thankyou

Astro

bought 33 of these and they sent them freight. got them for 33 per keg shipped.

The price he quoted me came out to about $37 shipped, and it really didn't matter how many kegs you ordered as long as you ordered in quantities of four. So just an fyi for those thinking you need to buy in bulk, the prices he gave for 4, 8, 12, and 20 kegs all came out to about $37/keg....for ball locks. I think pin locks were around $23 if memory serves.

The price he quoted me came out to about $37 shipped, and it really didn't matter how many kegs you ordered as long as you ordered in quantities of four. So just an fyi for those thinking you need to buy in bulk, the prices he gave for 4, 8, 12, and 20 kegs all came out to about $37/keg....for ball locks. I think pin locks were around $23 if memory serves.

the boxes he ships them in fits 4 kegs. The shipment calc on ebay seems to be off as well.

the boxes he ships them in fits 4 kegs. The shipment calc on ebay seems to be off as well.

I don't think the ebay calculator is close at all to his quoted price. He basically gave me a quote for pin and ball locks and for both as long as you ordered in 4 the price was the same, it didn't matter if you bought in bulk. But maybe he is giving others different quotes.

The thing is... you have to get 20 kegs and have them shipped to a business address. Then he can send them freight through estes, conway, etc..... That is where you will get your break on shipping costs. Otherwise he is sending them four at a time and you will get hammered by shipping costs.

The seller also gave a slight break on price per keg when i bought 33 of them, but the break was the same as buying 20.

Again you have to buy 20 to fill a pallet to get them shipped freight, then you need to get them shipped to you at work to get the better freight price.

I don't think the ebay calculator is close at all to his quoted price. He basically gave me a quote for pin and ball locks and for both as long as you ordered in 4 the price was the same, it didn't matter if you bought in bulk. But maybe he is giving others different quotes.

makes sense. I emailed him to let him know that his quote on 5 kegs was much different than the ebay calculator. That's when he told me the boxes fit 4 kegs. I didn't really need more than 5, so I didn't get a quote on more. I assume it would have been double with an order of 8 as it was for 4.

The thing is... you have to get 20 kegs and have them shipped to a business address. Then he can send them freight through estes, conway, etc..... That is where you will get your break on shipping costs. Otherwise he is sending them four at a time and you will get hammered by shipping costs.

The seller also gave a slight break on price per keg when i bought 33 of them, but the break was the same as buying 20.

Again you have to buy 20 to fill a pallet to get them shipped freight, then you need to get them shipped to you at work to get the better freight price.

Thanks, I'll have to ask him about that. $37/keg didn't seem like the bargain even if it's only $4/keg more than what you got it for.

Anytime, if you do it that way you also end up bypassing ebay and working with the guy directly so if ebay is in fact charging fees it won't effect you.

The number of kegs it takes to get the deal is why I did a group buy. Trust me when i say you won't have a problem getting rid of them. You may even be able to talk to a homebrew store that will back you if you get stuck with any kegs. Its hard for them to get a good price on these things too.

was this shipped to a residential or business address? Could you share the contact info?
thanks

was this shipped to a residential or business address? Could you share the contact info?
thanks

At under 20 kegs it doesn't matter if its a business or not. You still end up paying to much in shipping.

Op has posted the info for sellers eBay listing. I'm only giving the info I have out in pm if necessary.

Also an advantage to doing a group buy is meeting other home brewers, talking shop, and I got several invitations to the local brew club that I'm joining after next pay day.

Maybe, maybe not. $37 shipped for a ball lock keg still seems like a good price. Of course I haven't shopped around so maybe you can get them cheaper at other retailers.

@Olive Drab - I just gave him my zip code and he quoted me on that. I just contacted him thru his ebay listing.

Back