US-05 is amazing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moody_Copperpot

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking to maybe get into brewing and wanted to give it a go. I basically told him that we’d split the cost of ingredients and then each take half of the haul, once bottled. I put together an IPA recipe that was slated to come out at 1.069 OG. So we brew this beer and I use just one packet of US-05, sprinkled directly into the wort. I have rehydrated this yeast as well as used it as-is and have had great results both ways. For this brew I did not rehydrate. I didn’t take a preboil OG this time around either…I should have, but I didn’t. So at the end of the boil I take the OG and it’s 1.080! 86% efficiency. My equipment is just a Cooler MLT with a manifold and a regular 10 gallon brew pot. No false bottoms or anything.
So anyway, I sprinkled this one packet of US-05 in and let it sit in the primary for nearly 4 weeks, then onto the secondary for dry hopping. I took my OG and it was 1.010, so this bad boy ended up at 9.2% and US-05 handled it with NO problem whatsoever. The flavor is outstanding. This beer was hopped to hell and back, so the surprise I got in efficiency still yielded a tasty beer with a prevalent hop profile. The moral of the story is that US-05 is a beast!

US-05 is probably my favorite yeast. I use it on A LOT of the beers I brew, and it's never failed me.

I love '05 but you have to keep temps in check as with any yeast. I found it gives more flavor than say 001 when the temps get into the high 60's.

I used to use Notty as well, but I'm all about the US-05 now. As for the temps, it's pretty great with that 59-70 (might even be 75) range. I ferment in my bar in the basement, and it stays around 63 down there year round.

Back