Cacao Nibs or Cocoa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexun

Reaction score
I made a batch of chocolate porter... Using 4 oz of cacao nibs, steeped in secondary for a couple weeks. The outcome is really good but next time, I'd like a more chocolately taste. I was wondering about cocoa? Will it work? How much to use for a 5.5 gallon batch? When to add?

All responses muchly appreciated!

I do a cocao porter and i use powder, it always comes out very chocolatley, but the secret is addition of lactose to add sweetness, it really brings out the chocolate flavor.

What is the recipe your using?

I do a cocao porter and i use powder, it always comes out very chocolatley, but the secret is addition of lactose to add sweetness, it really brings out the chocolate flavor.

What is the recipe your using?

Thanks Shinglejohn. I don't have my recipe handy, my guy at the LHBS whipped it out for me. Can you tell me about how much cocoa and lactose you add? Also, do you add it during the boil?

Thanks!

PS: SWMBO really loves it but, like most women, wants more chocolate. :)

I use cocoa powder in the boil for my stout. I do 6-9 ounces depending on how much chocolate flavor I want.

As far as Lactose, it will really sweeten up the beer, so conservative is the way to go.
Anywhere from 1/4 - 1/2 # Add any time during boil.

In my recipe i use 1/2# ans 2 ounces of cocoa powder in secondary.

Lactose can also be added with your priming sugar at bottling. So if you want to go VERY conservative, you can still add more later. It's just harder to take it out if you get too much. :D

Latest posts

Back