Fermentation Showdown: US-05 vs Nottie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
Brewed an 8 gallon batch of Light Ale Saturday.

I have 3 gallons in a five gallon better bottle with a pack of US-05, and 5 gallons in a 6 gallon better bottle with 2 packs of Nottingham.

I used two packs of nottie due to recent issues with it, and this yeast is nearly a year old.

The 3 gallon batch is foaming nicely. The five gallon batch is going NUTS, I don't think there is anything wrong with that yeast. BIG blowoff, it is really churning away.

Both bottles are in my fermentation chiller at about 62*F. I pitched at about 72*F last night.

I will update the thread with details as the fermentation progresses.

Recipe used:

10.0lbs Pils
2.00lbs 2-row Pale
2.00lbs Flaked Rice
1.00lbs Flaked Wheat
2.00lbs Extra Light DME

.50 oz Magnum @ 90m
.50 oz Czech Saaz @ 90m
.75 oz Czech Saaz @ 5m

I made a stout recently with Nottingham...my goodness...both carboys blew off a TON of beer...never seen such fermentation.

Notty is my favorite yeast. Stouts, American Wheats, delicious and FAST! Plus, it flocculates well, so you get a clean, crisp appearance. A real delight to use!

Cool video! That's been my own experience with Nottingham. I've not used the US-05, but perhaps I'll give it a try next time (after I use these two packets of Notty I have ready to go...).

I recently have been using US 05 in some Belgian Wits. Of course, without the wit yeast its isnt a true wit. Blue moon uses an Ale yeast....so...whatever. It works for me....still makes a great beer.

Made a "Wit"on tuesday. 5lbs two row, 5lbs White Wheat Malt. Heres the video of that brew 24 hours later......US 05 Yeast. If you listen closely, you can hear the blow off tube "popping".

http://s30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/ntolerance/?action=view&current=P1060424.flv

Back