bottling best practice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
after a couple brews Im kinda hit or miss with the carbonation. Im trying to figure out why.

My typical process has been prime with 5 oz sugar dissolved in water added to the bottle bucket. bottle and place in cases. Store in closet for a week or two at about 67-70 degrees. Then I have moved them to the garage for a couple more weeks. The garage is about 50 to 55 degrees. Is that a problem or should I simply let the bottles age in the closet at a fermentation temp for the whole time?

What is yalls procedure? I dont really ever remember seeing or reading anything on where or at what temp to bottle age.

Three weeks at 70* F. is the dogma. Big beers may take longer; cooler temps may take longer. That's just for conditioning; if you're talking about aging, I try to get them cooler for longer, after the conditioning phase is done.

That said, I almost always crack a bottle at one week, and another after two. Gotta see how it's doing!

bacchusmj said:
My typical process has been prime with 5 oz sugar dissolved in water added to the bottle bucket. bottle and place in cases.

5oz is only a median amount. I found that out the hard way. Different styles need different volumes of Co2, so the amount of priming sugar varies.

bacchusmj said:
Store in closet for a week or two at about 67-70 degrees. Then I have moved them to the garage for a couple more weeks. The garage is about 50 to 55 degrees. Is that a problem or should I simply let the bottles age in the closet at a fermentation temp for the whole time?

What is yalls procedure? I dont really ever remember seeing or reading anything on where or at what temp to bottle age.

Temperature has a major effect on carbonating b/c it affects the activity levels of the yeast. Warmer = faster aging/conditioning, colder = slower. I leave mine in the closet for a few weeks, then pop them in the fridge a few days before I begin to drink them.

Back