Harbour Freight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMan

Reaction score
I have to say, I was always leary of their tools. However, the last few items I've purchased have been rock solid. The reviews of some of the tools kind of scare you a bit, but I think it's mostly user error.

The 1/2" Electric Impact Wrench is awesome. Blew me away, $45 for this thing and I've done everything with it that my friends electric Dewalt can. The only question is durability, which I'll find out in the future.

The second tool I am now infatuated with is the rotary tool of theirs. $10 is more than worth it for that tool. Sure, a real dremel is better. But I've not found something that the HF rotary tool can't cut, it just takes a bit more time than the name brand one.

I will probably always be a fan of Milwaukee tools, but there are likely some things that I'd have no problem buying from HF.

Anyone else found a tool or a few that are really great from Harbour Freight? Which ones?

Tap and die kit from HF worked great when I built my Brutus but the angle grinder I got crapped out after about a day. Also got a generator from there that works fine, but it is as loud as a weed eater. Only thing about HF is your expectations have to be pretty low.

First off I am in no way associated with Harbor Freight. Just helping to spread the word.

This angle grinder and the grinding/cutting wheels. Has great reviews and I'v used it on a number home projects with great success

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-4-1-2-half-inch-angle-grinder-91223.html

This brad nailer. Used it to install crown molding and it worked great. Broke it out of the work closet after 4 years of nonuse the otherday and worked just fine.

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gauge-brad-nailer-68021.html

Airsiphon Spray Gun kit
http://www.harborfreight.com/air-siphon-spray-gun-kit-96367.html

and the 2-1/2 pressure paint bucket that I used.
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-gallon-pressure-paint-tank-66839.html

I'm generally happy with HB's tools. They are inexpensive and hold up well for my usage.

I'm not associated either, but I know a lot of the brewers on here like the DIY part of the hobby. Ideally if you need a tool for weekly use I believe the name brand would be worth it, but for some projects you just need one to use a couple times and have it around for random tasks. This is where the HF stuff comes in handy in my mind.

My buddy has that angle grinder, he's used it quite a bit. It seems like one of their hidden gems.

I may have to look into their Tap N Die set...

Tap and die kit from HF worked great when I built my Brutus but the angle grinder I got crapped out after about a day. Also got a generator from there that works fine, but it is as loud as a weed eater. Only thing about HF is your expectations have to be pretty low.

I have found the complete opposite. The tap and die was horrible and pretty much unusable but the grinder has long outlived a ryobi one I had.

I have a cordless drill of theirs that works like a champ, even got a second battery and charger for it, just in case. Their "dremel" works great, and have picked up more bits for it, just wish I would have "invested" a few dollars more for Multi-speed unit.

I have tons of other tools I've picked up there and none have failed, from vise grips to pliers... and any less than ideal function came from me dropping in saltwater after unhooking a good size shark! lol.

KUDOS! Harbor Freight!:mug:

I bought a 1/2" variable speed drill from them that was probably the highest rated tool on their website. My plan was to use the drill to drive my barley crusher.

Shipping and communication was a nightmare. I got 3 different confirmation emails from them on my purchase, and all three had different invoice #s and none of them actually worked when I tried to use the website to look up the tracking information. The tracking number they *did* send me didn't exist. The package randomly showed up a couple of weeks later.

I plugged the drill in to try it, and it immediately started smoking. I pulled the trigger and got a low buzzing noise. Of course by that point, the magic fairy dust had already been released, so I wasn't expecting much.

On the other hand, I got a 1-HP sump pump from them a few months ago that I built a CIP system with, that has been working great. When I went to buy it, it was the only one on the shelf, with no price tag, and they had trouble finding the item in their DB to even tell me how much it was. However, when they finally found it, it was cheaper than the pumps they had which were half the size, so I immediately bought it.

I've bought a few items from them for occasional use. The last item was a universal tool stand. That thing was a nightmare to put together. When following the instructions it would not go together. When looking at the picture on the box it would.

There is no way I would order from them. I have a HF store just a few miles from the house.

I've generally been pleased with everything I've purchased with a few caveats:

(1) The 18G Brad/Staple combo is great for the price but I broke mine on hardwood. (I just bought another yesterday and the new design looks more robust)

(2) The reciprocating multi tool is a really good deal. Those thing usually sell for several hundred dollars and make easy work out of sawing in tight spaces.

(3) The grinder took care of my keggle with ease.

(4) The step drill bit was used to drill through my SS Keggle.

(5) The plate joiner is an absolute POS. This is the only tool from HF that I will 100% say DO NOT BUY! The fence is cheap plastic and it vibrates out of position and is innacurate at best. I made 1 box with this thing and had to re-do more biscuits that you could possibly imagine.

Their "dremel" works great, and have picked up more bits for it, just wish I would have "invested" a few dollars more for Multi-speed unit.

That's funny, I found myself thinking the same thing. It was only 8 bucks more for the multi-speed. Oh well, I'll just be happy with what I got.

Zorin said:
The great thing about HF is that I only 6 blocks from the store. I picked up a 0-800 rpm reversible drill for my MM 2. Works like a champ.

Yup. I just got the 1/2" 0-500rpm for my MM3. 30% sale + 20% coupon = winning

Tap and Die set works great in aluminum. Anything else and you can forget it.

I've owned many of their tools and in general, for household use, they have worked great. Angle grinders, cut off wheels, etc.

I bought a low speed HD drill for my crusher and it started smoking almost before I had it out of the package! I can still use it, but not for crushing, and not for anything reasonably heavy. I do think I should see if they have a better model, as I know several people on here are using one of their drills for crushing grain.

Oh, and I bought a chop saw. The saw itself is not bad as far as I know, but the *thing* it comes mounted in is garbage. Plan is to make a new, Heavy Duty stand to mount it in. I could probably crush this one with my foot it's so thin and weak.

I bought a low speed HD drill for my crusher and it started smoking almost before I had it out of the package! I can still use it, but not for crushing, and not for anything reasonably heavy. I do think I should see if they have a better model, as I know several people on here are using one of their drills for crushing grain.

I have also heard others using a HF drill for their mills. I believe it was this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-d-handle-drill-47991.html

I contemplated getting it, but since I'm kinda young and didn't have a solid drill yet I decided to get a really nice one that will last me for years and years. I figured to get one that will mill and drill anything I come across. If I were to get a dedicated mill drill, I would go for the HF one.

That's not the same one I have, but since I got a FREE gearmotor from work I don't really have a need to buy a new one.

But I'll keep it in mind for when I finish my friend's crusher. I've seen drills mounted semi-permanently into a crushing station table as well as running by hand.

I have always like HF for the tools that you don't need often, and the ones that are real cheap. if it lasts 3 years great you could buy 5 of them before you spend the same amount of money as you would for a dewalt that will last 20 years. no loss there..

Most of the tools I have purchased through HF have worked well. These tools aren't meant for every day use, they're for the DIY people for occasional use. I agree with Frankiesurf on Chicago Pneumatic air tools being junk!

don't have any CP tools -

The Chicago Pneumatic air compressor, on the other hand, has served me well for quite some time - but it's loud as hell!

TheMan said:
I have also heard others using a HF drill for their mills. I believe it was this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-variable-speed-reversible-d-handle-drill-47991.html

I contemplated getting it, but since I'm kinda young and didn't have a solid drill yet I decided to get a really nice one that will last me for years and years. I figured to get one that will mill and drill anything I come across. If I were to get a dedicated mill drill, I would go for the HF one.

Exactly. I have a two rechargeable drills and a hammer drill already. I bought this one for a permanent mount on my milling station. http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

I wish I had the money to put a Milwaukee Hole Hawg on my mill, but that is not reality.

I worked at a toy store up until about 7 years ago and all of their tools were from HF, 2 blocks down the road. They used the Chicago Pneumatic tools heavily, assembling 50+ bikes a day during Christmas season, and never had a problem.

This is the drill I use for my BC.

image_11292.jpg

3/8" Variable Speed Reversible Drill

It works great for that.

I have a question, those of you who have the "dremel" tool from them, which was the one you guys like?

I've bought some good and bad tools there, but if you live nearby it is great! They have a 30 day guarantee on stuff so just make sure you'll use it soon after buying then if it falls apart you can go get another one, or exchange for other stuff.

I have an HF Mill, band saw, and lathe as well as a ton of other orange stuff and with the exception of welding equipment they do just fine. I am a stone cold Miller or Lincoln buyer, but thats what I used forever and trust. Never had one of them fail. Just make sure the box is sealed and that you inventory the box when you get home and work the tool within design limits and it will be fine.
Bob

Yup. I just got the 1/2" 0-500rpm for my MM3. 30% sale + 20% coupon = winning

We bought one of these and got it for $35. Very strong. Built a log cabin and drove nearly 1000 14" screws with no problem. Figured we would try it because at that price it is disposable. Worked great!

I have the angle grinder and a sawz-all that from HF that work great. I've also bought a bunch of other hand tools from them that I've been very pleased with. My most recent purchase was a 60" level and a bunch of 36" bar clamps.... They were wayyyy better priced than something comprable at HD or Lowes. All-in-all, I love me some Harbor Freight, I've been pleased with most everything I've purchased from them.

One of my other hobbies is woodworking. A few of their tools in that arena are pretty good - their bandsaw can be hot-rodded into something halfway decent, their dust collector is good if you put a canister filter on, etc. I bought an electric HVLP system there for $70 last year. Rockler (a woodworking chain) sells the identical unit for $130.

Google "harbor freight gems" to see what people think is actually worth buying there.

I have a question, those of you who have the "dremel" tool from them, which was the one you guys like?

This is the one that another poster and myself got:
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html

It works great. I've used a name brand Dremel, and the HF one doesn't really cut as quickly. Probably due to lower power. However, I've cut through 1/8 of metal with mine. If you take your time then I don't doubt this thing can cut through quite a bit. It got LOTS of use last weekend on a plate chiller toolbox project of mine.

This is the 4 speed one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-4-speed-rotary-tool-kit-40457.html

I can't vouch for the 4 speed, but it is only 8 bucks more. It's made by the same company, Chicago Electric. Might be worth a shot.

I think you really have to consider that some of the reviews on items all over the web are faulty because of user error. This item is certainly better than it's 3 star rating in my mind lol.

Jersh, which sawzall did you get? I've been mulling over a Dewalt or Milwaukee for a while, but if these are decent I'd get one.

I've found their tools to be total junk. Even my vice is shedding it's enable. Come on a vice can't even be solid.

Jersh, which sawzall did you get? I've been mulling over a Dewalt or Milwaukee for a while, but if these are decent I'd get one.

I have this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-...procating-saw-with-rotating-handle-65570.html

This is the first and only reciprocating saw I've ever used so I have nothing to compare it to, but so it's been great for everything I've used it on.... The blades that come with it are crap but the saw itself has been great for me around the house.

I'm a professional motorcycle technician and I've had varying degrees of success with harbor freight tools, their "professional" wrenches are junk, but I have a set of 1/2" drive impact sockets that are bulletproof that are $200 cheaper than a snap-on set. And I recently bought their 5-drawer tool cart for $150 that is much sturdier than a $600 mac tools cart. Their stuff is hit-or-miss sockets are great, but pretty much any other hand tool they sell is crap.

I have not bought any of their power tools and probably would not unless it was a once or twice use.

I got a scale for weighing my grains. It works well but turns itself off too quickly.

I also got a step drill to drill 3 holes in my kettles, again an occasional use.

For hand tools I only buy Craftsman.

you are rolling the dice on whether they will hold up or not.if you are using it on occasion its not a bad gamble. that being said,i have some namebrand tools that get used daily for 20 plus years.im going out on a limb and say you wont find that with any harbor frieght tools

I have a few things from HF and thus far have been happy. Their micro/mini mills and machine lathes are Sieg, which is the same as what Micro Mark and Grizzly sell for a whole lot more. They're metric, but they sell the metric stuff to go with it, such as the end mill holder for the mill.

Their airbrushes are knock-offs of Badgers, but nowhere near as good. I got a 350 knock-off for priming, and it is really cheap compared to a genuine 350, but it was only $4.50. I also got their knock-off of a Panavice and it's great.

Josh14025 said:
I'm a professional motorcycle technician and I've had varying degrees of success with harbor freight tools, their "professional" wrenches are junk, but I have a set of 1/2" drive impact sockets that are bulletproof that are $200 cheaper than a snap-on set. And I recently bought their 5-drawer tool cart for $150 that is much sturdier than a $600 mac tools cart. Their stuff is hit-or-miss sockets are great, but pretty much any other hand tool they sell is crap.

I had wondered about their impact sockets...maybe ill give them a shot.

The rotary tool I bought has been used extensively this weekend on some stainless steel...its held up great. I gotta recommend it again lol

I had wondered about their impact sockets...maybe ill give them a shot.

The rotary tool I bought has been used extensively this weekend on some stainless steel...its held up great. I gotta recommend it again lol
I have lifted 4 trucks with there impact sockets. You'll have more money to buy beer related items since they are 1/3 of snap on

Latest posts

Back