Propane Turkey Fryer Indoors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!

For Xmas, I got a gift certificate for Amazon and bought a Bayou Turkey Fryer with it for brewing purposes of course. It came yesterday and I am really excited to use it for my next brew (Wildflower Wheat from Extreme Brewing) but it is freezing cold outside in PA this time of year.

I know that you are only supposed to use a propane heat source outside because of the toxic fumes emitted, however, my basement is a big open area with four different windows that lead directly outside. Would it be safe for me to use the turkey fryer in my basement with all the windows open for ventilation?

No. Please don't. The primary poison to worry about is CO (Carbon Monoxide). It's heavier than air and will slowing fill up your basement from the ground up. You'll have lethal levels before the CO reaches your windows, which I'm assuming are above your head.

From my understanding that is quite deadly, but I am very caution of doing that.
If you absolutely HAD to use a propane stove inside I would have one or two heavy duty box fans blowing air out of your basement and I would install a carbon monoxide detector as well.
But I can't in good conscience recommend that you use propane indoors.

Be sure to add me to your last will and testament before you brew.

Back