The boil and protein breaks...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldrice

Reaction score
OK, another in a line of stupid questions... when boiling in the kettle, do people leave the false bottom in to help filter out some of the break after chilling? Is there any benefit to this? Or do people boil without the false bottom and rely on other methods to remove hot/cold break?

I leave the bottom in but am also trying a pre-filter.

Most don;t have a FB in their kettles and whirlpool before they run off.

No FB here.

Whirlpool and let sit to get most of the crap down to the bottom. If some goes into the fermenter, I sure don't worry about it.

I just whirlpooled for the first time last weekend and was concerned I'd have problems clogging the ball valve. No FB installed and I don't have a pickup/dip tube or anything, just a ball valve screwed into a welded port. I obv had to tilt the kettle to get the last few quarts but it went fine (I drained really slowly). The cone stayed pretty much intact and I didn't get any chunks or anything in the carboy. I did let it rest a good 30 minutes after stirring it like mad with a big stainless spatula (after removing the IC).

Back