Kreuzin with Nottingham in Cider?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i'm making a batch of cider (swmbo dropped the hint several times today) and I realized I dont have any Montrachet yeast, but I do have some Nottingham. quick search on the board, people had positive responses, I'm good. I make the batch, filling the carboy all the way to the top, put the airlock on and now I have a scarry thought:

Will the carboy overflow because the Nottingham yeast will from kreuzin or will I be ok?

I can switch it over to the 6gal carboy that is open, but I was hoping to make a batch of pale ale this weekend in that...
I'm relaxing right now, but I really dont want to have to clean up a mess in the morning.
thanks
capn

I dont have anywhere near as much krausen with cider than I do with beer. Even when I put in a bunch of DME and Crystal 60L the krausen is low and I can fill the fermenter up alot tighter than I do with beer. I only use ale yeasts in my ciders...

Depends on temps, if you keep the Nottingham cool there wont be much krausen, although you still cant fill it *all* the way to the top. I usually leave about a pint and a half of headspace. You can always use a blowoff tube for the first few days - wine bottles work good for that because the deeper the tube goes in your blowoff jar, the more pressure it will take to bubble, which tends to keep the foam down. Or you could just wrap a towel around the neck of the carboy in case the airlock gets fouled

Apple juice has very little protein, so you don't get much krausen. You need the protein to hold the bubbles.

Back