American Strong Ale Arrogant Bastard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my water heating up now. Look forward to tasting this one.

just bottled this tonight. when i opened up the secondary (9 days dry hopped with 1oz chinook) it smelled EXACTLY like arrogant. i know it wont taste exactly like it with my numbers being all over the place, but im confident it will still be a tasty brew.

half the bottles are Stone AB bottles (silver caps) :rockin:

little bit of hop residue on the bottom, no biggie.

will report back with first tasting in 1-2 wks.

Well I'm done and my OG is pretty sad at around 1.065.
This beer is darker than my rye amber at this point too. :)

update:

cerrently two weeks in the bottle.

at 1 week: flat, big malt presence, not sensing much hop aroma/flavor/bitterness.

at week 2: slightly carbonated, more subtle but still large malt presence, huge difference in hop presence. hops beginning to shine through in everyway. beer is noticeably more "hot" this week due to the high ABV.

i must say i was a bit worried after trying this brew the first week, even though i knew it was much too green to pass judgement. now, after week 2, i am seeing a huge difference, and it is definately starting to taste/feel more like AB.

ill try it again on week 3, but im thinking that week 4 is when this bad boy will really start making me cry. ;]

I'm doing a Double Bastard attempt this evening. I'm thinking about adding a pound of corn sugar. What would that do to the end product?

17lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs C120
.5lb melanoidin
1lb corn sugar (boil)

90 min boil
1.5 oz chinook 10.3%aa (FWH)
1.5 oz chinook 10.3%aa (60)
1 oz chinook 10.3%aa (30)
1 oz chinook 10.3%aa (10)
1 oz chinook 10.3% (2)
1 oz chinook 10.3% (dry hop)

US-05

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

Should I forgo the corn sugar? I wanted to hit right around 1.100 at 70% efficiency, which is why I thought about sugar in the first place. But if it will really dry it out in the end and change the character significantly, I'll pass.

I'm doing a Double Bastard attempt this evening. I'm thinking about adding a pound of corn sugar. What would that do to the end product?

17lbs Maris Otter
1.5 lbs C120
.5lb melanoidin
1lb corn sugar (boil)

90 min boil
1.5 oz chinook 10.3%aa (FWH)
1.5 oz chinook 10.3%aa (60)
1 oz chinook 10.3%aa (30)
1 oz chinook 10.3%aa (10)
1 oz chinook 10.3% (2)
1 oz chinook 10.3% (dry hop)

US-05

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes

Should I forgo the corn sugar? I wanted to hit right around 1.100 at 70% efficiency, which is why I thought about sugar in the first place. But if it will really dry it out in the end and change the character significantly, I'll pass.

It will dry it out a bit, but with 1.5lb of c120, i wouldnt think it would hurt to dry it out a bit.

Just mashed this in. I dumped about 1lb of grain cause I'm an idiot (DOH)!! Just hit my mash temp of 154, sparge water is already hot!

Why does it say "recommended" for yeast starter here if you're using dry yeast? I thought you weren't supposed to use dry yeast in starters.
Or did you just mean hydrating it was recommended?

So, I know we've all got the real clone recipe, now, but I made the OP's recipe a little while ago. Dropped the base malt a few pounds to lower the OG, so I started at 1.067. I used WLP051 (one of my favorite yeasts!) since I thought the fruitiness might match the recipe nicely. Of course, the yeast took it down to 1.010, so it still ended up at 7.5%. Hopped as follows:

1 oz Simcoe 12.2% (70 min)
1 oz Chinook 11.4% (45 min)
0.75 oz Chinook 11.4% (15 min)
1 oz Chinook 11.4% (2 min)
1.5 oz Chinook 11.4% (Dry Hop)

1.067 OG
1.010 FG

~4 weeks in primary, 4 weeks in bottles, and it is f'in awesome. Fantastic. Bitter and in-your-face, yet super tasty too, thanks to the malt bill. Haven't put it next to an actual AB yet, but I honestly don't care too much - this one is good good good good good.

I just got done brewing this sunday. It went ok I just forgot to put in the false bottomm on my masstun. I used Cali V Ale Yeast WLP051. So far so good.

I just put half in secondary and the other half dry hopped in another secondary. I'm right at 1.020. My sample taste so amazing I'm about to go steal a pint out of the secondary and have another. This so far if it goes well in secondary will be a regular in my kegerator. Thanks so much for all your guys help. And thanks for the recipe.

SO I'm stupid and dry hoped my half batch the day I put it in Secondary. 1oz dry hopped in 3 gallons of beer. I did not wait like others till the last five days. So today will be the 5 day. Should I keg it? I really want to start drinking it but not sure if kegging it on only five days will screw it up. Please help out.

So I ended up putting the half I dry hopped in a keg last night. I have to say its the BEST BEER yet that I have made. I screwed up so many times but some how ended up Amazing. Thank you all for your help along the way and yes this will be a Batch I make every 3 months. I love this stuff. Here is a Pic of my first pint. I took it at night with my iphone so you dont really get to see the color and clarity but its all there. By the way the glass came from a really cool brewery in Bisbee, AZ. If you ever get a chance to go to it DO IT! The guy is super nice and let me take a self guided tour and told me to make my self at home.
2ceomip.jpg

2 days ago, Bethany Sherwin the south regional rep for Stone did a presentation at FIU's graduate beer class.:rockin:

Believe it or not:

Stone REFUSES to use cascade hops in ANY beer.
They LOVE Columbus and use it frequently
Stone also uses many Pacific Northwest hops (American "C" hops)
They use pellet hops for kettle additions, whole hops for dry hopping
and more importantly Arrogant Bastard uses 2 grain varieties and 2 hop varieties!

My guess would be 2-row and 120 L Crystal, Columbus and another "C" hop

Ferment with WLP002

2 days ago, Bethany Sherwin the south regional rep for Stone did a presentation at FIU's graduate beer class.:rockin:

Believe it or not:

Stone REFUSES to use cascade hops in ANY beer.
They LOVE Columbus and use it frequently
Stone also uses many Pacific Northwest hops (American "C" hops)
They use pellet hops for kettle additions, whole hops for dry hopping
and more importantly Arrogant Bastard uses 2 grain varieties and 2 hop varieties!

My guess would be 2-row and 120 L Crystal, Columbus and another "C" hop

Ferment with WLP002

I wonder why they refuse to use Cascade? I stockpile the stuff.

The other hop used in AB is probably Chinook; that is the one everyone uses when cloning it now at least.

I'm going to be brewing this beer this weekend (hopefully the few ingredients I needed to order show up in time) and this will be my first time using a starter (Don't know why it has taken this long), so I am just looking for some verification (or corrections) if needed.

I'm brewing 10 Gallons using WLP007. Now using Mr.Malty's Calculator (I don't have the yeast yet so just using the default for the Viability %) with a Stir Plate I come up with a 2.31L starter using 2 vials of yeast. I only have a 2L flask, so I used the slider to set it to use a smaller starter. I come up with 3 vials in a 1.36L starter. Now obviously the best plan for the future would be to get myself a larger flask to handle a larger starter, but am I OK using 3 vials in a 1.36L starter? I'm not sure if thats too much yeast pitching into not enough wort or not.

rmullins said:
I'm going to be brewing this beer this weekend (hopefully the few ingredients I needed to order show up in time) and this will be my first time using a starter (Don't know why it has taken this long), so I am just looking for some verification (or corrections) if needed.

I'm brewing 10 Gallons using WLP007. Now using Mr.Malty's Calculator (I don't have the yeast yet so just using the default for the Viability %) with a Stir Plate I come up with a 2.31L starter using 2 vials of yeast. I only have a 2L flask, so I used the slider to set it to use a smaller starter. I come up with 3 vials in a 1.36L starter. Now obviously the best plan for the future would be to get myself a larger flask to handle a larger starter, but am I OK using 3 vials in a 1.36L starter? I'm not sure if thats too much yeast pitching into not enough wort or not.

You can just "step up"the starter. Also just so you know there is a "can you brew it-arrogant bastard clone" thread with a revised recipe. I believe it was 90% 2 row and 10% special B - all chinook hops. Good luck. I did the one with c120 and it came out good, but be sure not to mash too high. I did 154 amd it came out a little sweet.

Thanks Chapa. I'm actually using the revised recipe from the Can You Brew it thread (just posted here as it was at the top of the forum).

Now with the starter, is there any harm in using the 3 vials in a 1.36L (or whatever volume it comes out to be based on the viability)? I already ordered the yeast when I got the special B and chinook hops, so I will have 3 vials available. I don't really use WLP007 that often so I am not against using the extra vial

Brewing it tomorrow, just cleaned the conical and all of my tubing, the starter is vigorously fermenting. Not even sure if I am going to bother crash cooling/decanting, will probably just pitch the full 2L.

I dry hopped half of my batch and loved it. No matter what u do u will love the beer. Enjoy and let us know how it goes.

1st Post (and 1st batch). Hello to all out there HBT land!

Got a few questions about my Bastard batch. Any recommendations/comments if racking to a secondary is necessary? If so, how long? 1-2-3 method?

I'm also debating on dry hopping with some chinook which of I would do in the secondary. Any thoughts? If I do, when should I drop it in and for how long? Use a muslin bag for the dry hop?

I know there is plenty of info out there on these questions but I was looking for advice on this specific brew. I would appreciate any feedback gentlemen!

B33r_Me said:
1st Post (and 1st batch). Hello to all out there HBT land!

Got a few questions about my Bastard batch. Any recommendations/comments if racking to a secondary is necessary? If so, how long? 1-2-3 method?

I'm also debating on dry hopping with some chinook which of I would do in the secondary. Any thoughts? If I do, when should I drop it in and for how long? Use a muslin bag for the dry hop?

I know there is plenty of info out there on these questions but I was looking for advice on this specific brew. I would appreciate any feedback gentlemen!

A secondary is not necessary. The only beers I use a secondary for are for oak additions.

You can dry hop in the primary. Add the hops the day that the Krausen falls. Ferment your beer for at least twice the time that it takes for the Krausen to fall.

Brewing this beer is really no different than any other ale. Make a big healthy yeast starter. Ensure good sanitization. Control the fermentation temperatures. If you do those things, you will make a great beer.

Eric

oh man oh man oh man! Just got a taste out of the primary and I am very happy. Thanks for the recipe.

This was my third batch and it was great! I did a 15min hop addition as well... I don't know why (it was a while ago).

Now doing it again, but using some simcoe in there as well. Reckon a 50:50 mix would make a good beer? I liked the original but I'm looking into making something a little different (also dropping the OG to 1.061 but keeping same malts and same ratios).

So I have not read through this whole thread, but I know a lot of people look for extract recipes of this beer. I have to be honest this is arguably the closest clone I have ever done, so I figured I would post it for someone if they want to use it. I did it side by side with the originally, walked out of the room had my wife mix up the glasses and I could not tell a difference at all. Here it is

Recipe: Arrogant Bastard Clone
Brewer: Tyson Beggs
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 3.33 gal
Estimated OG: 1.072 SG
Estimated Color: 20.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 65.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 75 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 50.00 %
3.00 lb Amber Dry Extract (12.5 SRM) Dry Extract 30.00 %
0.50 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
0.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 5.00 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (75 min) Hops 27.8 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (45 min) Hops 24.4 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 13.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

i have used a recipe very similar to this and it came out great, however this is not an ipa, its og is too high, srm too high, and its too bitter. almost fits an Imperial except for the srm is still too high. very good beer though.

It's called arrogant bastard ale isn't it? I think its just habit to call it an ipa as its hoppy and bitter.

So I have not read through this whole thread, but I know a lot of people look for extract recipes of this beer. I have to be honest this is arguably the closest clone I have ever done, so I figured I would post it for someone if they want to use it. I did it side by side with the originally, walked out of the room had my wife mix up the glasses and I could not tell a difference at all. Here it is

Asst Brewer:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

Thanks for the recipe, drinking it right now came out great!!! LBS ran out of chinook used 1oz columbus to dry hop in the keg and its a f' n good beer.....thanks again

Asst Brewer:

Recipe Specifications

Ingredients:
------------

Hi there Tyson, I'm a novice brewer(4 extract batches and 2 kits) and I'm considering this recipe. Its listed as an extract brew but dont some of those malts need to be mashed? I did one partial mash for my last brew but it turned out to be more of a 'steep' due to my poor temperature control. Can you give some info on how this should be steeped or mashed with temperature/time info please?

Thanks

L

It's not necessary to mash the Aromatic, Biscuit, Caramunich and Special B malts. They're for flavor and color but don't need any enzyme conversion.

Does anyone have any advice on getting a second beer out of this recipe? I'm a poor graduate student and like to stretch my money as far as it can go.....

Back