Made up my first recipe...how do you think it will turn out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jangelj

Reaction score
I wanted to make a 5 gal. batch of IPA from what I had on hand. Here is what I came up with and brewed yesterday. I just wanted some opinions.

7 lbs Light DME

1 lb Breiss pale ale malt
.5 lb crystal 50L
steeped at 155 for 40 minutes.

added 3.5 lb DME at boil, 3.5 with 15 to go
2 oz fuggles 60 min
2 oz fuggles 30 min
1 oz cascade 15 min
1 oz cascade 10 min
1 oz cascade 5 min
1 oz cascade 0 min

whirlfloc tab with 15 to go.

used wlp001 with 1.5L starter. it was on the stirplate for about 18 hours.

pitched at noon, had lots of activity by 8 PM.

Seems pretty simple - sounds like it will make great beer - nice and hoppy - I agree, look at the water volume - seems maybe low.

Did you take specific gravity reading after chilling? I bet it was high. This will probably be pretty strong beer too.

:)

Seems pretty simple - sounds like it will make great beer - nice and hoppy - I agree, look at the water volume - seems maybe low.

Did you take specific gravity reading after chilling? I bet it was high. This will probably be pretty strong beer too.

:)

Yes, 7 lbs of DME. 3.5 at boil, 3.5 at 15 minutes. Sorry for not being clear.

What do you mean the water volme is low? It is a 5 gal. batch...is that bad?
My SG was 1.063.

I was shooting for a nice IPA, hoppy beer, so we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, 7 lbs of DME. 3.5 at boil, 3.5 at 15 minutes. Sorry for not being clear.

What do you mean the water volume is low? It is a 5 gal. batch...is that bad?
My SG was 1.063.

I was shooting for a nice IPA, hoppy beer, so we'll see.

Thanks for the feedback.

No problem. My last batch came in at about the same FG. It should make high a high alcohol content.

Sounds interesting! Only recommendation I would have would be to reverse some of the Fuggles and Cascade, so you can get more of the Fuggles aroma/flavor. (i.e. put at least some of the Fuggles in at 10/5 min)

Sounds interesting! Only recommendation I would have would be to reverse some of the Fuggles and Cascade, so you can get more of the Fuggles aroma/flavor. (i.e. put at least some of the Fuggles in at 10/5 min)

I brewed this on 5/8, moved to keg with about 4 oz corn sugar on 5/25, so 17 days in primary. I left it to carb/secondary at room temp in the keg till 6/4 (10 days). pulled my first draft last night after 1 day in the fridge. not quite cold enough, but it is absolutely delicious. The best ipa I have made (not that I have made that many). It is yummy! I am very happy.

I forced some CO2 into it, because it wasn't carbed enough after only 10 days.

Back