yet another yeast pitching/temp question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minus

Reaction score
Hey guys, for some ridiculous reason, my friend and I were not paying attention (drinking) and pitched our yeast WAY to early. My guess is that the wort was around 100 degrees, but the wort most likely got down to proper temp within an hour or two. Its been 8 hours now and I see absolutely no sign of action, and the lid from the bucket is not even swelling up as it normally does. I do happen to have another packet of yeast, would it be suggested that I pitch that as well to get things moving?

How long has it been since you pitched?

I'd say give it a couple of days. Then crack the lid and check for krausen and/or take a hydrometer reading. That should tell you if you need to repitch or not.

Thanks for the feedback =)

Hypothetically... Say a couple days goes by with no change and I do re-pitch, would that produce a yeasty off flavor/fogginess, or will that just produce more sediment at the bottom?

Should be no off flavors from re-pitching. But, don't use the airlock as any kind of guide. Take a hydrometer reading. Your yeast may be chugging away and you might not even know it.

Sounds good guys....I'm so pissed at myself for doing this lol. We were just breezing through the brew having a few drinks and shooting the shiz...the second we pitched, we both went ahhhhhhhhhh!

so...update..

In the hour and change since thread started, out of nowhere... bucket is bubbling. I gave the ferment bucket an ever-so-slight whirl and I guess kick started the process.

Out of the 4 brews ive done, my success rate is at 50%, so I worry a bit too much. Thanks for the patience and tips everyone, I love this forum!

-Learning to Relax and dont worry, have a home brew....

Back