Corney keg lid seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spb

Reaction score
Hi all!
I just got some used corney kegs and CO2 equipment given to me. I got everything cleaned up and I am almost ready to start kegging. One question first. When I latch the lids closed on my kegs (without pressurizing the kegs) they are not air tight. Do the lids become air tight when the keg is pressurized or do I need larger o-rings?
Thanks in advance!
Lucas

The lid should seal without pressure. Two possibilities (well three): the o-ring is old and has flattened out, the feet on the clamp are worn and need to be replaced, or the clamp and/or the lid has been damaged. I'd bet on #1, but I have seen damaged feet & bent clamps.

spb said:
Hi all!
I just got some used corney kegs and CO2 equipment given to me. I got everything cleaned up and I am almost ready to start kegging. One question first. When I latch the lids closed on my kegs (without pressurizing the kegs) they are not air tight. Do the lids become air tight when the keg is pressurized or do I need larger o-rings?
Thanks in advance!
Lucas

I'm new to kegging, but I believe they should be air-tight. There would be no way to seal them with pressure, because you won't be able to build up the pressure in the first place. ;)

With any newly purchased keg, it's a good idea to buy all new seals (lid and poppets) and rebuild your kegs before using them.

If they don't hold air, they aren't going to hold 30 plus psi of CO2 either. Fix it now or a.) run out of CO2 in about an hour b.) find your freshly kegged brew all over the flow or c.) have stale brew when you think it's ready for consumption.

spb said:
Hi all!
Thanks in advance!
Lucas

How do you know they're not air tight without having them under pressure?

Maybe I worded that wrong. Unpressurized they will not hold water. When I was cleaning them and would tip them upside down, liquid would seep out through the o-ring that seals the lid. That is why I was wondering if I pressurized them if the pressure would push up on the lid and o-ring sealing the keg?

spb said:
Maybe I worded that wrong. Unpressurized they will not hold water. When I was cleaning them and would tip them upside down, liquid would seep out through the o-ring that seals the lid. That is why I was wondering if I pressurized them if the pressure would push up on the lid and o-ring sealing the keg?

I think that you are right in some aspects. Everytime I pressurize one of my kegs, I see the lid move up ever so slightly. Although they should seal without pressure, but if your oring or something is out of wack, pressurizing may solve the problem. I agree with the others in that always replace all orings with new when obtaining a keg.

So if you guys fill your corney kegs with liquid and do not pressurize them and hold them upside down, liquid does not come out around the edges of the lid?

Cornies are notorious for sealing poorly until you put a couple of pounds of pressure on them. I always immediately hit mine with 20 lbs, then back it off to serving pressure. Works like a charm! You can achieve a better unpressurized seal if you carefully center the lid before tightening the latch.

spb said:
So if you guys fill your corney kegs with liquid and do not pressurize them and hold them upside down, liquid does not come out around the edges of the lid?

Without checking, I'd think that at least some would. I know I have at least one that I had to wiggle to set properly. There is plenty of give in those things.

Hit em with some pressure and see what happens. Really, who cares if they seal up without pressure as long as they work when they're under pressure.

I recommend using keg lube on all rubber fittings ...I lube all seals when I Keg..I had a keg that seemed to leak a little at the lid with the soapy bubble test...put keg lube on the seal and the leak disappeared....been chilling no problem since.....

Latest posts

Back