Kölsch Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markcubed

Reaction score
Was skimming around the recipes section and couldn't find anything for a German Kölsch. Anyone know where to get a nice extract recipe for one?

Thanks!

I was just thinking about brewing up a Kolsch! Ed Wort has a good looking Kolsch recipe. I'm on my iPhone and can't post a direct link - go to the "recipes database" here, look under "light hybrid" and you'll find it. His original recipe is an all-grain, but if you read through the thread, I bet someone has converted it to extract. If not, let me know and I can do that.

I'm going to have to check that out too, was in Cologne last weekend and made sure to try every single variety. If you're ever there go to get some fresh Mueller Koelsch and eat there too!

I brewed a kolsch earlier this summer, turned out great.
Steeped 1 # of honey wheat

4# extra light DME
2# wheat DME

Just choose a good nobal hop. I don't have my recipe here at work, but I believe I used Hallater and Saaz.

The WLP029 kolsch yeast was terrific. I fermented at around 62 degrees for 3 weeks, transfered to secondary and let sit for another 3 weeks at 48 degrees. The final product was brilliantly clear, and I didn't even have to use any sort of clarifying agent.

Grain bills for a kolsch are very simple. Mostly pilsner and sometimes a bit of wheat.

The most important thing is yeast and fermentation. Make sure you buy Kolsch yeast. I used White labs on my last batch and it turned out great. Pitch enough yeast from a starter and ferment cool (58F-63F). Any warmer and it will throw some esters. Ferment at this temp for 2 weeks, then let it warm to room temp over a few days. You should lager it for a few weeks before kegging or bottling.

Just got into brewing and not sure if I can get temps down to 63F. I've been at about 72F in my closet.

Am I out of luck?

Just got into brewing and not sure if I can get temps down to 63F. I've been at about 72F in my closet.

Am I out of luck?

I use a low-tech technique. Put my carboy in a large cooler with cold water and frozen ice packs. I swap the ice packs out once a day.

I use a low-tech technique. Put my carboy in a large cooler with cold water and frozen ice packs. I swap the ice packs out once a day.

I've done the same thing in a swamp cooler. Keep it in as cold a spot as you can, add a tee shirt or old towel to wick up the water and you can hold at nearly 60oF, maybe less.

As for recipes, i have a pretty good extract in my menu drop-down. I do it as an all-grain now, but the extract version was very good.

Back