Ginger Snap Brown Ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xcorpia, when your BIAB version is all well and done, I'd appreciate it if you'd write up a little info blurb on how to handle it this way. Maybe a list of do's and dont's. And tips and tricks.

:mug:

Has anyone tried using gingersnap ingredients instead of actual cookies?

:confused:

No.....It kinda defeats the whole purpose of the beer, the whole point of this was to use actual cookies in the mash. I never considered wussing out and using just the spices at all. This is influenced by the iron brewer competition where they give you an ingredient and you must make a beer out of it. Also the ancient babylonian way of using Bappir (bread) as a brewing ingredient.

Some folks even make their pumpkin ales by adding whole pumpkin pies into the mash and boil.

You can just go the spice route if you want, but using the cookies is half the fun of experimentation. :D

I've never tried it but I've always been curious about adding a box of cereal to a mash, maybe something with seeds and nuts like you can find at TJ's. However, for a ginger snap beer, I would think using a high quality molasses and fresh ground spices might produce a more controllable a possibly better beer. Didn't mean to step on your toes, was just curious.

Hey guys! Just woke up. I work 12 hour night shifts. Sorry for the waiting. I'm going to grab some breakfast and then I'm going to rack my baby and report back. Revvy: good idea about the BIAB pointers. Will write something up when I get my new laptop. I hate using the phone keyboard.

Finally the moment you've been waiting for! LOL My SG: 1.011. Taste: just like cookie juice. It's heavy on the boozy side but hopefully it'll mellow out. The ginger didn't pop out like I hoped it would, but I can fix it with some ginger tea. I'm also seriously considering lactose to sweeten it a little...it's a cookie beer after all!

BrewinUpNorth: I just sprinkled the S-04 on the wort-no starter. I was very careful racking the beer and left almost all the trub behind, which turned out to be cookies (and yeast of course). There was lots of oil in it as well (floating on top of the beer). It was kind of tricky trying to leave it behind. I'd say I lost a gallon of beer, but it's OK. It's pretty clear also, so 3ry might not be necessary with the help of my new friend gelatin. :)

Man a GALLON!?!?
I consider that a loss of golden nectar....when I brew it I will rack 3 times.
So the question is....what is "cookie juice"? The ginger didn't pop out?
Sounds like we could use 'Nilla wafers!
Just kidding...I wonder if the quality of the snap makes a difference.
The real information you have provided is that you ampped up your OG by a ton with the cookies, and the sugars were readily fermentable which is why you have such a boozy beer....may want to cut down on the grains a bit for the next batch!

If I may make a final suggestion....rather than ginger tea, you may want to throw some ginger root in there like you are dry hopping and then just rack over it like normal. I dont think I would grate it, but maybe cut it into some chunks and see what happens.

OK folks here is my plan for BIAB 5.5 gallon batch (I will rack 3 times to get my golden nectar). Grain bill in ready, hops in place, just need my snaps.

8oz Flaked Oats
1#8oz Biscuit Malt
2# Crystal 60L
4#8oz Maris Otter
Mash 90 min at 154degs
Boil with 1 oz Fuggles and 1 box MEIJER brand ginger snaps for 60 min.
Add 2 more boxes with 15 minutes left to boil.

I am thinking that Xcorpia may have lost some of the "snap" element to the duration of the boil, and that there is really no point to boiling the snaps that long...we are not trying to extract the sugars from the snap...they will just fall out.

I may even go last 5 minutes with the snaps....Revvy, what do you think....in theory?

I thought using the TJ's 3ple ginger snaps were the most extreme ginger-wise. That's why I was surprised the ginger was almost absent. I will definitely cut down on the grains next time and probably add fresh ginger in 1ry. As a matter of fact I just might throw some in now... Not too worried about the booze. It's got 'til Xmas to mellow out.

Make sure to have a steamer basket so you can place the bag in it and let the wort drain. The snaps will clog the bag and if you squeeze it you'll sprinkle the wort everywhere but in the kettle. I used the spoon to kind of scrape the inside of the bag to unclog it. You need patience because it'll take a while.

OK, we are in 1ary.
I got 2 lbs of snaps at Meijer (a midwest grocery) and ran into NONE of the oil issues others have described. Dont know why...just got lucky I guess.
1 lb (minus 5 or so tasty snaps) in the mash. I BIAB and it was a tough sparge and I think the result was some lost sugars...mashed for 1 hour 15 min.
Boiled with another half pound and the fuggels for an hour.
Added the last half pound and cut heat. Had to stir lightly to break down the snaps, and some were clumpy.
Overall I can taste a snap flavor, but again, more cookie flavor I think in the hydrometer sample....will know much more in 3 weeks. No oil on the 1ary.
OG of 1.051

Will keep you posted....

Cool! I didn't see oil in the beginning, it shows after the Krausen falls. Told you so about the clogged bag :)

Slight concerns...lack of fast fermentation. I cooled it off and pitched at 75, in my basement at 68 and a week later, a nice krausen has formed, but no more visible fermentation. Should I R A H A H B and just rack to secondary, and take a reading?
I was gone last week and could not tell what was happening but we are a week and a half in now....

suggestions?

Slight concerns...lack of fast fermentation. I cooled it off and pitched at 75, in my basement at 68 and a week later, a nice krausen has formed, but no more visible fermentation. Should I R A H A H B and just rack to secondary, and take a reading?
I was gone last week and could not tell what was happening but we are a week and a half in now....

suggestions?

What do you mean no visible fermentation? You said you had a krausen. If you mean airlock bubbling, you shouldn't be brewing one of MY beers. ;)

I really hope you don't mean airlock bubbling......

Revvy, I look for all signs....rising bubbles, krausen moving or falling, anything I can see....airlock bubbling means little to me...should I expect the krausen to fall when it is done?

After reading through this thread I'm still a little unclear as to how you guys are calculating the cookies additions.

Revvy mentioned using only the listed sugar content on the box, did that work? Or do we have to take into account some flour being converted.

Thanks for any clarification.

After reading through this thread I'm still a little unclear as to how you guys are calculating the cookies additions.

Revvy mentioned using only the listed sugar content on the box, did that work? Or do we have to take into account some flour being converted.

Thanks for any clarification.

Without a cereal mash it's doubtful there was any extra conversion of the flour. I didn't concern myself with it. Just the total sugar in the cookies. Remember it's really more about the flavor of the cookies more than any fermentables from the actual cookies. Yes there is sugar in them, but it's really more about flavor.

We're talking 6.2 ounces of sugar/box of cookies, that's really not a lot, just slightly more than we normally bottle with, 5 oz of priming sugar only raises the gravity by iirc .005% so it's really not a big deal.

The real question is not the sugars the cookies add, but the fermentables. I think this can only be determined by a hydrometer reading....I will rack tomorrow after 2 weeks and let you know where I am.

I agree with Revvy, it is really more about the cookie flavor, but by adding 2lbs of snaps, I am figuring it is probably pretty close to 2lbs of DME in terms of starting gravity and the effects on the first hydrometer reading vs the grain bill.

The bottom line is that I will track the recipe, but I am not cloning anything anyway....I am creating this batch and may end up with a higher alcohol beer than I anticipated....just hope I GET THE COOKIE! I MUST HAVE THE COOKIE FLAVOR!

Just to clarify my second sentence.

Initially I did not anticipate the extra sugars in my recipe would up the OG. That said, I also upped the grain bill from Revvy's recipe at first thinking it was a little low....not anticipating the cookie increase....now I think I will end up with a higher alcohol brew than Revvy, which may hurt my Cookie flavor I so seek.

So, going forward, if you want more of a session beer (not what I was looking for), drop the grain bill and anticipate the cookie sugars.

I say it in my notes on the first page, and I created a category for the cookies in beersmith, using the ppg of the same amount of turbinado sugar..

Notes
1 Lb box of ginger snaps in mash tun. 1 Box of Nabisco = 176g of sugar or 6.2 ounces. Used the calculation for 6.2 ounces turbinado sugar for a rough gravity assumption.

So it is factored in to the initial gravity of mine.

just hope I GET THE COOKIE! I MUST HAVE THE COOKIE FLAVOR!

COOKIECOOKIECOOKIE!!!!
b-460207-_cookie_monster_eating_cookie.jpg

My batch has been in 2ry for 4 weeks. Sampled it today before adding gelatin (planning to bottle Tuesday) and the alcohol flavor mellowed out. Its tasty, but I'm going to add a spice tea to taste before bottling because the ginger mellowed out. I'm really excited about this brew :).

Tasted my iced oatmeal sweet stout for the first time this weekend. If anything, it tastes like I used peanutbutter cookies... odd, but I'll roll with it. Peanut butter & chocolate stout, anybody?

got busy and left in primary for 4 WEEKS!!
I have a cookie flavor, but only if I look for it and think about it...I think I may have just made a great holiday beer, with a great story, but still lacking the ginger.

Incidentally currently gravity is 1.026........many unfermented sugars should be contributing.

Secondary should be no more than 2 weeks.

got busy and left in primary for 4 WEEKS!!
I have a cookie flavor, but only if I look for it and think about it...I think I may have just made a great holiday beer, with a great story, but still lacking the ginger.

Just do what I did and boil some ginger along with your priming sugar to flavor it.

Are these the same as Ginger Nuts in the UK? Man, you guys don't realise how much compromise we have to make to use your recipes. :)

[ame]http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=Bjj&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&q=ginger+nuts&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1051l1737l0l1820l11l5l0l0l0l0l151l574l2.3l5l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1680&bih=800&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi[/ame]

Looks good. I'm thinking of putting on an extract/partial mash version, here's how it's come up in Beersmith. Corn Sugar accounts for the biscuits, can't do much about percentages as I'm unsure how to add an adjunct. :)

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.20 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 59.5 %
0.92 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 25.0 %
0.60 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.30 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) Hops 0.4 IBU
0.57 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 15.5 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.051 SG (1.045-1.060 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.013 SG (1.010-1.016 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 15.1 SRM (18.0-35.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 1.9 IBU (20.0-45.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.9 % (4.3-6.2 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.6 %
Actual Calories: 244 cal/pint

No idea why the IBU is coming up so low, must have gone wrong somewhere. Going to modify it slightly of course, what's your opinion on the hops in yours? Does this benefit from a strong hop profile or do you think it's better to keep it subtle?

No idea why the IBU is coming up so low, must have gone wrong somewhere. Going to modify it slightly of course, what's your opinion on the hops in yours? Does this benefit from a strong hop profile or do you think it's better to keep it subtle?

Well I'm trying to stay true to the underlying style, which is an English brown. So the ibus and the types of hops on mine are in line for an English Brown, same with the yeast I chose to use.

I'm big on having a base beer usually for my "experiments" that falls under bjcp style guidlines for contest purposes of entering them under the 23a category. They require that you indicate the underlying style when you enter them.

A lot of the judges will comment on whether the base is true to style or not.

So most of the time my odd beers like this have a known base- Ginger Orange Dortmunder, Chocolote Mole Porter, this one.....

That's usually the first step also when I am creating one of these, starting with building the base recipe.

That makes sense. I'm well into english brown ale anyway so that's all good, although I might tone down the overall ABV a little so it's a little more forgiving!

Hypothetically though, having tried it - for this specific brew with the ginger etc flavours - that it would benefit from a strong or weaker hop presence? I realise you want it to fall into a specific guideline, I only ask because I'm likely to only make this once and would like something everybody can enjoy over christmas. :)

I want a weaker hops presence...I want to taste ginger cookies, not hops or even hoppy ginger cookies....so I want a beer that is balanced or leaning over towards malty rather than hoppy.

Good stuff, thanks! Will let you know how I get on when I make this. :)
Oh and, would I still halve the hops for half a batch? I'll be adding something for retention too - depends what the LHBS have.

Latest posts

Back