Midwest Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
I am about to order my first partial mash kit and i am curious on what yeast u guys use from midwest when ordering a kit?... the dry, premium dry, wyeast, or white labs vial?

does it just depend on the style or is there one u stick with?

I like liquid yeast personally. Wyeast is what I use most often but white labs is very good too. With that said they will all most definitely make beer......

I've used all of the above with good results.. I'd say experiment with various types, so you will learn the differences between them. If you don't have the ability or knowledge on making starters then maybe start out with dry yeast.

I agree with above. I'd you don't want to make a yeast starter then go with dry yeast. There is nothing wrong with the dry either, myself and many others use it frequently with great results.

Start with dry yeast your first time out:

S-05 for an American beer (wheat, Pale Ale, or other)

S-04 or Notty for an English style (ESB, IPA, Stout, Porter, etc)

All 3 of these are decent yeasts. The main advantage of liquid yeasts is that there is a much larger variation, and you get different flavors out of the yeasts. To brew a Belgian, you really need to use a liquid yeast. Liquid yeasts require more effort in handling, and it is recommended you always make a starter with them (which you don't need to do with dry yeasts).

I think it mainly depends on the style. If you can get a dry yeast to suit the style of beer you want to brew then use that. If not, use the correct liquid yeast and make a starter. Honestly starters are very easy. If you can brew you can surely make a starter.

I think it mainly depends on the style. If you can get a dry yeast to suit the style of beer you want to brew then use that. If not, use the correct liquid yeast and make a starter. Honestly starters are very easy. If you can brew you can surely make a starter.

I actually agree with this. I personally started with liquid yeast, and I made my stirplate and first starter on my 2nd batch of beer. I didn't try using dry yeast until later, because I wanted to see how it compared. I liked the results of the dry a lot, and I especially liked the ease of use. So, I made a few batches with dry yeast for awhile. Now, I'm back to my liquid yeast again... I also, always propagate yeast from the vials/smack packs when I buy them now. Plus I wash it, so I have a fair amount of yeast choices these days.

Stauffbier said:
I actually agree with this. I personally started with liquid yeast, and I made my stirplate and first starter on my 2nd batch of beer. I didn't try using dry yeast until later, because I wanted to see how it compared. I liked the results of the dry a lot, and I especially liked the ease of use. So, I made a few batches with dry yeast for awhile. Now, I'm back to my liquid yeast again... I also, always propagate yeast from the vials/smack packs when I buy them now. Plus I wash it, so I have a fair amount of yeast choices these days.

How long do you keep your yeast on hand?

The oldest yeast I've used was 4 month old, 2nd generation washed yeast, and it took off like a freight train when I made a starter with it.

I am about to order my first partial mash kit and i am curious on what yeast u guys use from midwest when ordering a kit?... the dry, premium dry, wyeast, or white labs vial?

does it just depend on the style or is there one u stick with?

Pardon me, but are you profiling?:)

Do you think with using the premium dry yeast at a fermentation temp of 50 degrees would work? ( i believe its muntons and the chart says in a range of 57 to 77 degrees)

I think that is pushing it. If it's an ale yeast I normally keep it at an ambient temp of 63 to 64. It stays 4 to 5 degrees warmer during fermentation the little beasties give off some heat when they are working.

Thanks for all the input and advice fellas...

I think i am gonna wait until the spring then when it warms up to do my first brew then... my basement should be around 60 degrees then.

I am still piecing together all the equipment i need... brewer on a budget haha

But this site is great for info and has helped me in more ways than one... i cant wait to start brewing!!

There are some tricks you can use to keep the beer warmer. Do a forum search for aquarium heater or sleeping bag and you will find a lot of info.

Thanks for all the input and advice fellas...

I think i am gonna wait until the spring then when it warms up to do my first brew then... my basement should be around 60 degrees then.

I am still piecing together all the equipment i need... brewer on a budget haha

But this site is great for info and has helped me in more ways than one... i cant wait to start brewing!!

What?! Why would you wait to brew until Spring? If you are concerned about low temps, get a vessel larger than your fermenter. Place your fermenter in this larger vessel and fill the outer vessel with water. The sheer hear produced by fermentation will keep itself warm (and probably too warm at that). You can brew year round in almost any climate. If its super cold do lagers. Super hot do Belgians. If you have like 20 bucks to spare buy a brew belt, it will keep it 10-15 degrees hotter than the surrounding area.

what?! Why would you wait to brew until spring? If you are concerned about low temps, get a vessel larger than your fermenter. Place your fermenter in this larger vessel and fill the outer vessel with water. The sheer hear produced by fermentation will keep itself warm (and probably too warm at that). You can brew year round in almost any climate. If its super cold do lagers. Super hot do belgians. If you have like 20 bucks to spare buy a brew belt, it will keep it 10-15 degrees hotter than the surrounding area.

+1

What?! Why would you wait to brew until Spring? If you are concerned about low temps, get a vessel larger than your fermenter. Place your fermenter in this larger vessel and fill the outer vessel with water. The sheer hear produced by fermentation will keep itself warm (and probably too warm at that). You can brew year round in almost any climate. If its super cold do lagers. Super hot do Belgians. If you have like 20 bucks to spare buy a brew belt, it will keep it 10-15 degrees hotter than the surrounding area.

That sounds like a solid idea... im def moppin up what ur spillin...

How much will they raise the temperature? like i said my basement is 50 degrees or so... also can you use these on a glass carboy or better bottle? and do you recommend a certain brand or model of a brew belt?

Thanks in advance
Cliff

Hey Cliff, can you ferment in a closet in your house where it's warmer? Then you could set up a swamp cooler to keep it stable... (Search this web site for swamp cooler)

i second a closet with a swamp cooler
using one in a spare bedroom as we speak, and this is in florida where it's 75 degrees in my house!

and the girlfriend won't mind when she has an endless supply of good beer, will she?

Shes not a huge beer fan so it don't really matter to her...

Wait what's a swamp cooler?

Does she like wine? If so make her a batch to get her on board!

A swamp cooler is a big tub of water that you sit your bucket fermentor or carboy in. If your closet is in the mid 60's then the water will stay at that temp more or less too, which will keep the fermentation in the mid 60's as well.. I'm using one right now. I also put a frozen bottle of water in it every 12 hours or so to keep it at 61F...

Spare bedroom closet floor temp has been 59 degrees all day... seems perfect.

I originally wanted to do it down stairs cause she dosent go down there much... but i think i can get away doing it in the spare room

Thanks for the help
Cliff

Back