Found an IPA that I actually enjoy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babylon

Reaction score
I'm not much of a hops guy, I have never enjoyed IPA's. However I found one that I not only find drinkable but actually enjoy. Dundee's IPA. Now mind you I know the style well enough to be able to tell that it is not a good IPA, that is probably why I enjoy it. The hops are quite understated, the bitterness is restrained, it's more of a hoppy pale ale than a true IPA. I don't think this is the beginning of my transformation into a hop head, but I am amused that I have found one I can enjoy and I can tell that it is one that any true IPA fan would scorn.

As long as you enjoy it that's all that counts. You'll get there, I remember a time when SNPA made my stomach burn. It's a natural progression:mug:

I'm not much of a hops guy, I have never enjoyed IPA's. However I found one that I not only find drinkable but actually enjoy. Dundee's IPA. Now mind you I know the style well enough to be able to tell that it is not a good IPA, that is probably why I enjoy it. The hops are quite understated, the bitterness is restrained, it's more of a hoppy pale ale than a true IPA. I don't think this is the beginning of my transformation into a hop head, but I am amused that I have found one I can enjoy and I can tell that it is one that any true IPA fan would scorn.

Agreed. I don't really mind hops, but the Dundee craft pack I bought when I turned 21 turned me on to the idea of IPAs. Looking back, it wasn't as good as a DFH 90 min or HopDevil, but overall Dundee makes ok beer. That was also the pack that introduced me to Kölch, which is delicious.

That's been my impression of Dundee, not great, but certainly not bad. I enjoyed their honey brown and their stout, the Kolch was certainly drinkable, if not really my thing.

IPA's are like drugs....you keep needing more and more as time goes on. In no time, you'll be quaffing IIPA's

I don't really agree with the thought that IPA's are only for experienced drinkers/beer geeks.

Given, it is one of my favorite styles and I didn't really like it at first, I don't think it's because I've moved on up from "Summer shandy's" or anything. I think that everyone has their own tastes, and that some people like hops, and some don't. My SWMBO is one who doesn't, but she throws down on some RIS's, which I think could also be considered "not a beginner's beer".

For me, at least, the reason that I transitioned to enjoying IPAs was because of the brewing process itself. The first time that I opened a package of hops I thought, "This smells exactly like beer!" From then on I gradually began to try more and more IPAs, just because I enjoyed that aroma, but not everyone is going to be the same way.

I don't really agree with the thought that IPA's are only for experienced drinkers/beer geeks.

Speaking from an American viewpoint most people grow up thinking Budweiser is beer. Most people don't enjoy their first beer or even their first dozen beers. It is an acquired taste. So once somebody decides Budweiser is beer and somebody gets them to try an IPA it is 1000x more flavorful than what they know as beer and they go through the same process getting used to the new flavors. In that way I have to say IPAs are for more experienced beer drinkers. That doesn't mean you're not a beer geek because you don't like IPAs.

Latest posts

Back