Which March pump should I buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taquina

Reaction score
I am having trouble understanding the difference between these two pumps.

http://www.homebrewing.org/March-815-Stainless-Steel-Beer-Pump_p_5228.html

http://www.homebrewing.org/March-Pump-Center-125-HP-Brewing-Pump-w-cord_p_2918.html

I am upgrading my setup to include pumps, and want to make an informed purchase on a quality pump that will last me many years. I have read that a center fed pump with a 3/4" inlet is easier to prime. But I also realize that stainless steel is higher quality than brass.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

If it helps ease your mind I have likely brewed over 300 gallons over the last 3-4 years with my 24v dc pps all plastic pumps and have had no issues besides dropping and cracking one before I permanently mounted them inline in my system... I think as long as you take care of the pump it will last a long time.. that said brass will turn black inside, Also even if it is a "lead free" brass with the much lower amount of lead used in its construction, it still has lead in it so if I had a choice between those two Id go stainless.

Maybe i can help :cool:

The first pump is the 815 model....the second pump link is an 809-HS version...they both use all the same parts but the 815 has a slightly bigger impeller internally, and has a stronger magnet on the impeller as well.....most brewers seem to prefer that model as it primes a little bit easier. Flow rate wise they are with in 1/2 to 1 gallon of each other...

Maybe i can help :cool:

The first pump is the 815 model....the second pump link is an 809-HS version...they both use all the same parts but the 815 has a slightly bigger impeller internally, and has a stronger magnet on the impeller as well.....most brewers seem to prefer that model as it primes a little bit easier. Flow rate wise they are with in 1/2 to 1 gallon of each other...

Thanks, Walter. That's good food for thought!

If it helps ease your mind I have likely brewed over 300 gallons over the last 3-4 years with my 24v dc pps all plastic pumps and have had no issues besides dropping and cracking one before I permanently mounted them inline in my system... I think as long as you take care of the pump it will last a long time.. that said brass will turn black inside, Also even if it is a "lead free" brass with the much lower amount of lead used in its construction, it still has lead in it so if I had a choice between those two Id go stainless.

Good points. I do take care of my equipment as if it were a baby. I'm leaning toward the stainless steel. Thanks for the input.

not to hi-jack the thread, but do you have a model and make of yours by chance, or a link?

not to hi-jack the thread, but do you have a model and make of yours by chance, or a link?
I use the p38 food grade tan pumps they are good even with boiling liquids, pump 3 gallons per minute and are only about $20... http://www.ebay.com/itm/24V-Pure-Fo...73f3c49&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=262562307836 there are many places to find them on amazon as well. you can find more info in my build thread or search "cheap wort pump". Sorry OP about wandering off topic.

Back