Beer Alchemy: Why does "rest" have to be first in the mash schedule?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

culturejam

Reaction score
Okay, I just started using Beer Alchemy. I've used several other brewing apps in the past, but I really dig the native OS X look/feel of this one.

I like just about everything it does, except I can't get my head around the Mash Editor process.

It seems that neither the recipe editor nor the mash editor ask about water-to-grain ratio. The strike water calculator does, but that doesn't integrate with the mash editor or the recipe editor.

And why isn't there a "mash in" option in the Mash Editor? The only step you can add for Step 1 is a "rest". Also, when I generate the "instructions" for a given batch, it provides infusion volumes and temps, but totally ignores strike water and temp. It assumes that this has already been done.

It seems crazy not to include this in the calculations on the instruction sheet, especially when the fucntionality already exists in the strike water calculator.

What am I missing here? I assume it must be me misunderstanding how things work.

Thanks.

It's always bothered me that I have to change the water/grist ratio in each individual batch as opposed to the recipe.

As for the mash editor, I never came across that issue, but now that you mentioned it, it does sound strange. Did you contact the developer? They seem to be good about creating updates.

It's always bothered me that I have to change the water/grist ratio in each individual batch as opposed to the recipe.
I couldn't even see a place to set the ratio, other than as part of the strike water calculator, which as I mentioned earlier does not integrate into the recipe or batch info. If you could clue me in where to set this in the batch editor, that would be super.

As for the mash editor, I never came across that issue, but now that you mentioned it, it does sound strange. Did you contact the developer? They seem to be good about creating updates.
I sent an email about an hour ago outlining my concerns. I'll definitely post the answer here when I get it.

What's odd to me is that I've seen several threads here where people talk about how great Beer Alchemy is for all grain, but nobody has mentioned this strike water/mash-in thing, so I'm kinda hoping that I'm just being a bonehead and not setting up the recipe properly.

If you could clue me in where to set this in the batch editor, that would be super.

When you open a new batch, look at the bottom left of the window. It's right where you choose batch or fly sparge. Unfortunately, you have to do it in whatever measurements you chose for large liquids, so unless you do every liquid addition as quarts, you'll be forced to choose this value as either gallons or liters. I have my default set to .31 gal per pound of grain, but I frequently change it manually. It will change accordingly when you click the instructions button.

That just made me think of my biggest complaint of all: the measurements can't be tailored to the specific part of the recipe. IE, if you set your brewing liquor additions to be measured in gallons, all large water additions will be measured in gallons. Plus, there's no tsp/tbsp choice, so you I use ounces for my spice/irish moss type additions.

Actually I am a little confused as to what you mean. Are you just confusing interchangeable terms? Strike and infusion are effectively the same thing. Similarly, whether they call it mash-in or a rest, it still acheives the same end result.

I'm now emailing back and forth with the developer. I think we're still not understanding each other, but I feel like we'll get there eventually.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I set up an IPA recipe with 12 pounds of grist, using a cooler mash tun. I chose one of the simple pre-defined mash profiles that is named "Single Step Infusion (65C/149F)".

Then I generate the Instruction sheet, and here's what I get for mashing info:

Mash pH should be 5.2.

Allow the temperature to stabilize at 149 degF. Allow to rest at this temperature for 60 minutes.

Add 2.52 qts of water at 149 degF, mix and run off.

Add a further 12.15 qts of water at 149 degF and mix.

Run off to collect a total of 24.30 qts of wort.

You'll notice that there is no info there on the volume and temperature of water it will take to allow the mash temp to "stabilize at 149F". In every other application I've used, the initial mash-in is part of the mash schedule. Here, it seems like it is omitted on purpose.

There is a standalone calculator for strike water, but I don't see a way to make that information part of the recipe or the batch. That seems really weird to me. Why design software that is super-comprehensive and automated but then make that one tiny part a manual process?

I'll let you guys know what I hear back from the dev.

Ok, now I understand your problem. I don't have that problem. I get the strike water volume and temperature in my instructions. As a matter of fact, I'm impressed by how dead-on the calculation is.

I have no clue why you don't get that part of the instructions, I don't think it was a setting that had to be selected.

Just got the answer from the developer.

Apparently, I was looking in the wrong part of the instructions. The strike water info is listed in the "Preparation" section of the instruction sheet, instead of in the "Mashing" section. That's what threw me off.

I really think it ought to be listed with the other mash calculations, but as long as it's there somewhere, I guess it's okay. Great software overall, though.

Beer Alchemy really needs a support forum.

I gotta say I am loving the program. Been using the Recipator for years and I was never really happy with it. I found it to be very limited. Downloaded Alchemy and played with the trial for about 20 minutes before I bought it on the spot. Worth every penny!

Back