German crystal malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johannes

Reaction score
I have the clone brews book by Szamatulski and many of the lager recipes call for a 2.5 Lovibond German light crystal malt. Does nay know this by another name? None of the homebrew stores carry it by that name. Also, has anyone ever used glucose powder as a primer? Someone had a brew kit and gave me the ingredients and that was in it.

Thanks

Johann

Carapils is a dextrin malt, but it typically is around 3L, so it would give you the color but not the flavor crystal does. By the same token, 2.5L is almost base malt. Use the lowest Lovibond crystal you can find and live with the deeper color. If you can't find a 10L, consider using half as much 20L and making up the difference with carapils.

Thanks for the replies David and Mysterio. I thought it might be carapils, but then the clone book also uses carapils in recipes so I was confused by the name change. Thanks again for your help.

Johann

I used regular crystal malt (instead of the 2.5 German crystal that they recommended) when following a clone brews lager recipe and it came out way too dark -- so beware. It was my understanding that carapils was just a lighter form of crystal?

EDIT : Dug up this link if it's any help.

Latest posts

Back