Keg mash tun design

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasBierBaron

Reaction score
I'm looking to turn a decommissioned keg I bought from a local brewery into a mash tun. I'm considering cutting out the bottom and using triclover fittings to make a bottom drain design. I use an electric RIMS tube to heat my mash. What false bottom works best in a bottom drain keggle for recirculating? The domed bottom in my cooler tends to plug up unless I add rice hulls.

Also, i brew on what is basically a wood workbench so I would need a way to add legs or something to raise the keg. Is there a good option to add legs that doesn't require welding?

If you didnt mind a hole, I would cut the hole in the workbench. Have your keg fitting, valve straight down, then a quick disconnect on that so you can unhook the hose and move the mash tun if needed. I am not sure about leg options.

I did exactly this back in early 2015. It works like a charm - after you buy the right gear for it that is...

I chose to buy from zach at stainless brewing. I bought:
FS15 15" SS Hinged False Bottom
Hole for dip tube: No hole $59.99
FBR2 False Bottom Support and Stand
Size: 2"OD X 1-3/4" $9.99

It works perfectly with almost no grains in my line, however I do not stir once it is in process. If you want you could also buy some ss mesh from him also to be really sure no grains get out and unto your pump.

Do you plan on recirculation? HIGHLY recommend it as it will increase your efficiency immensly. If you do let me know as I have played with many of them...

I did exactly this back in early 2015. It works like a charm - after you buy the right gear for it that is...

I chose to buy from zach at stainless brewing. I bought:
FS15 15" SS Hinged False Bottom
Hole for dip tube: No hole $59.99
FBR2 False Bottom Support and Stand
Size: 2"OD X 1-3/4" $9.99

It works perfectly with almost no grains in my line, however I do not stir once it is in process. If you want you could also buy some ss mesh from him also to be really sure no grains get out and unto your pump.

Do you plan on recirculation? HIGHLY recommend it as it will increase your efficiency immensly. If you do let me know as I have played with many of them...

Yes, I recirculate. Last mash I did I didn't stir for the first time and my efficiency was awful, but it could have just been too thick at 1qt/lb (hence why I want a new tun).

How does the stainlessbrewing support work with having the 2" sanke connection port on the bottom?

Using the model numbers I gave you above, the bottom ring will sit directly around that hole and give support to the layer above too.

It also provides another screen to catch stray grains.

Back