Sulfer smell in kegged Wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csue66

Reaction score
We kegged our beer after fermentation, the gravity went from 1.048 to 1.012so we thought most of the fermentation was finished. We put in the fridge to carbonate. Tasted good but somewhat yeasty. Now 4-5 days later has sulfer smell and slight taste. Is this ok and will it go away. We thought it could condition in keg in refrigerator while carbonating. Should we take it out and let it condition at room temp? Should we vent Co2 off? We used Wyeast 3944 which we were told is slow, but we let it primary for almost 2 weeks.

I know this is more prevalent in regards to home winemaking, but would this be the beer equivalent of "bottle sickness" or "keg sickness"? From the literature I've found online, it sounds like if sulfur dioxide or sulfur compounds are produced within a sealed environment the beverage will exhibit a sulfur smell or off-taste for a few days to weeks, I would assume until the yeast cleans up after itself. This seems to sound like a classic example of this, but with so much literature geared towards wine makers I didn't know if this was prevalent in beer brewing. Just curious.

Latest posts

Back