• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for 8/10 Gal Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMCYoder

Reaction score
So now that I am getting into mashes and a bigger boil, I am looking for a bigger brew kettle. Was thinking about getting an 8 Gal Megapot or a 10 Gal BoilerMaker. Just wanted to see if anyone was selling anything similar before I go pick one up. Figure if I can save some bucks and help out a fellow HBT member.

I don't know if this would apply to you but, if you have a Sam's club membership you can buy a big aluminum pot from them for a great price. I just had one shipped to my house 10 gallon with a lid for about 45 dollars (shipped). It is not the thin cheap turkey fryer pot but a significantly thick pot. It is light and heats up fast.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=102996&variance=40+qt.

you can get a 15 gallon for 43 dollars ( not shipped though)

I have a 10 gallon Megapot. It is an awesome pot but you can get the exact pot without the fancy Megapot logo for much less. The MegaPot is made by Update International. http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-40.upi-sps40.0.7.htm You will want at least a 10 gallon if you ever decide to go to all grain. Bigger is always better You should also look at the stuff Jaybird has for sale since he is a vendor on here. Good Luck either way

Yea, I don't necessarily care about name brand as long as it is quality. I do like how they have the ball valve and thermo on the outside, just makes life a lot easier. And it does get easier with the false bottom since I know I will be taking the next step soon enough.

I would advise to go ahead and get something BIGGER because the last thing you want is to get settled into a pot and decide to step up in batch size and have to sell it and start over.

I got a Bayou Classic stock pot that was about nine gallons. After only three five-gallon brews, I got really comfortable with process and decided to do eight gallon batches and ferment in 10 gallon corny kegs. Well, it is possible to do eight gallons in a nine gallon pot, but not very safe. So I sold my pot to someone intending to convert a keg into a boil pot. By then, of course, I had spent more than I was keeping track of and didn't really recoup my initial investment in the very nice kettle I started with. So I had to sell the keg to make some money back and now I'm not brewing because I've got nothing to brew in and a spending category in the red.

I said, "I'll never need to go bigger than five gallons". Now I can't even brew that. :(

I would advise to go ahead and get something BIGGER because the last thing you want is to get settled into a pot and decide to step up in batch size and have to sell it and start over.

I said, "I'll never need to go bigger than five gallons". Now I can't even brew that. :(

Yea, that is what I did. I first purchased a 6 Gal when I started doing extract batches. After that I did a couple of Partial Mashes and used my friends pot to do a 6.5 Gal boil. I feel as if I am going to get the 10 Gal as a better investment.

Back