I got free stuff from a family friend! Included an old extract kit...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhusker18

Reaction score
So an old friend of our family gave me some free stuff. 8 cases of cleaned bottles, glasses for a wide range of beer types and a unknown aged extract kit. Brewers Best India Black Ale. I already know the answer but I will ask anyway....

Should i use it? (No dummy). 3 of the 4 hop packs are still vac sealed but seem weird olive unhop colored ( could be the silver tiny of bag). The DME is hard as a rock but sealed. The crushed grains are sealed. Extract unknown. Can anyone help on this code? 111108AR1 is on a label in both cans of Briess CBW. The pkg of US-05 says 09-2013.

I have no idea where and how it was stored.

What you all say? Price on kit says 41.69 sucks he wasted it.

Anything still good? What's to waste except my time and a hour of burning propane?

Glad I got some free stuff- was in need of some bottles. Will make him a mixed case when I get my pipeline done.

I did a stout from muntons extract that was best before 2010, and that was this past Christmas 2015. It was fine

I recently listened to a podcast for the Sunday Session. One of the guys from Brulosophy was a guest and said he intentionally made a beer with two-year-old extract, two-year-old hops, two year old yeast. It was an experiment to see how it would come out. He said not only was it a drinkable beer it was actually a really good beer.

Nothing wrong with giving it a go right? What's the worse that could happen you make beer that isn't very good? Waste a little water in the process? It might be a good time to try it out and figure out your process especially because it was free!

I would say to try it. What do you have to lose but a bit of time... One thing that might make it work better though is a fresh packet of yeast, depending on the storage conditions, it might be worth the couple of bucks to replace that one part.

Based on the codes Briess uses for their 33 lb packs, 111108, would mean the extract was packaged on 08/11/2011.

Brew it. Use fresh hops (+the ones in the packs), and be ready with a spare yeast pack

Cool. It is a black IPA. I ordered some grains for another brew and will have leftover from the steeping recipe, so I might use some of that extra "fresh" steeping grains and see how it comes out. The IPA needs some darker color based on what Beersmith indicates when I plug it in. The yeast is dry us-05. I might make a starter and see what it does over a 3-4 day period, if no action I will just run to LHBS and pickup a package.

Will give it a shot some weekend. Thanks for the push! Free beer!

I would also give it a shot. Maybe brew it on the stove so you don't use propane. Electricity costs less.
I would add fresher hops if you have any on hand. And use a new pack of dry yeast.

I would also give it a shot. Maybe brew it on the stove so you don't use propane. Electricity costs less.
I would add fresher hops if you have any on hand. And use a new pack of dry yeast.

After my wife came out one day and got a smell of the process- she said keep it outside. Stove top isn't an option unless she and the kids are gone overnight.

I'd go for it, at worst it'll be good practice. Follow the instructions on the yeast and rehydrate it for about 15 minutes, then add a spoonful of sugar...it it starts bubbling and foaming up, it's good. Nothing ventured, nothing gained....you might get five gallons of good beer!

I wonder if the OP has already brewed it since the thread was started 9 days ago.

It's on my list but other brews are ahead. Did raspberry requiem today.

I have enough extra steeping grains to supplement if necessary and I did order new hops. Might do this one as show and tell with the guys at work.

I'm wondering how this would turn out, I am finally ready to do my third batch after being unsuccessful in my first two attempts, and my extract kit is over a year old now, I bought new yeast but after reading some stuff on here I'm thinking I should just get new everything...

Hi all. Finally got around to using this this past weekend. I trashed the hops after opening them it was evident even after vac sealed they were not useable. I basically used this kit to brew the darth Vader black IPA. The LME was just fine. Tasted ok and wasn't moldy and acted just like fresh lme. I added some extra steeping grains for color and flavor. I did use the grains- it was victory and 80L hAlf pound each. Tasted then and they seemed fine. the DME was rock hard but I just dissolved in water on stove and dumped that syrup into the boil.

Just for kicks I put the us05 packet in starter mode and it kicked into action fast but I just went ahead and used my saved us05 mason jar from a previous brew.

Will update when I try and tastes normal or not.

I just checked the Breiss site, malted grains have an 18 month shelf life when stored below 90f in a dry environment. LME and DME 24 months when stored properly.

But what does that really mean? Is that before you notice a change in flavour? How much? I doubt it has gone "bad"

But what does that really mean? Is that before you notice a change in flavour? How much? I doubt it has gone "bad"

Yep. Good points.

So...it will be boiled, so unless there is hardcore botulinum in there, it is probably okay. I am sure as long as the sealed container isn't compromised it is probably shelf stable. I tasted mine and it tasted fine. This kit had Briess "special dark" 90L and sparkling amber 10L for the black IPA. The special dark tasted just like molasses and the amber also tasted molasses but not as mellow (burnt honey) as a Maillard malt gold lme. The cooked wort O.G. Sample from my test tube tasted fine or like other worts I tasted.

Of course fresh is better. But this was free! For an IPA, the hops and steeping grains could cover quite a bit. I have read subsequent post that FWIW mention they turnout just fine for home brewing, maybe not award winning, but good enough for a free case or two of beer.

I just checked the Breiss site, malted grains have an 18 month shelf life when stored below 90f in a dry environment. LME and DME 24 months when stored properly.

What does this mean? If I have 17 month old grains stored appropriately, they are good, but if I have 19 month old grain I should toss it. ...... I've got a lot of specialty grain I need to get rid of!!!!

Back