Should I boil some DME to get closer to my intended SG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seyahmit

Reaction score
I brewed an Ordinary Bitter this afternoon. I totally blew my sparge water calculations and in doing so, I ended up with too much water left in the mash tun. My gravity in the carboy is 1.028 and I was planning on 1.036. I'm thinking about boiling up some DME to raise my gravity some. I'm afraid I am going to end up with a beer that is way too thin.

I'd say go for it. You've nothing to lose, at this point, considering you probably won't enjoy a 2.8% bitter. You may want to recalculate the ibu's and possibly boil some hops with the dme. Then again, maybe not. Good luck with it. Bitter can be fairly forgiving in my experience.

Cheers,
monk

Well, I decided I would boil up some DME, but only had .75 lbs left. So I boiled that in 2 quarts of water for 15 minutes. I only got up to 1.031. I probably should have only used a quart or so since I didn't have anymore DME.

Oh well, lesson learned I guess.

I was worried about doing the same thing so I held back a little sparge volume and waited to see how much volume I ended up with in my limited kettle space. You can always add another quart or two if you end up short. Well, all that depends on whether your batch or not.

When I was adding my sparge water, part of me was saying that is way too much water. The other half was saying don't listen to him, your math is impeccable. I guess I should have listened.

Back