Darn Bubbles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MisterTipsy

Reaction score
In my quest to ditch the hop bags entirely, I tried dry hopping without a hop bag. The plan was to wrap some 50 mesh around the end of an auto siphon to filter the hops. I did that, but encountered a problem.

Everything started fine, but after a gallon had been transferred, the auto siphon and mesh set up introduced a massive amount of bubbles into the bottling bucket. :mad:

The flow was still pretty decent even when there was a lot of bubbling. Eventually it would stall. Clearing the filter and restarting the siphon stopped the bubbles, but they would start again after 15 seconds or so.

I was able to transfer all 5 gallons and no hops ended up in the bottling bucket, but I had to restart the siphon three times and introduced a large amount of bubbles into the beer.

So, where the heck are these bubbles coming from? :drunk:

bubbles-water-transparent-design.jpg

What I've done that has worked well is to use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag in the bottling bucket. I just make sure it is pushed all the way to the bottom as to not introduce any bubbles and rack into the bucket. Then when racking is done, I simply pull the strainer bag out, give the beer a quick, gentle stir to mix in the priming sugar, and then bottle.

My theory on what happened: the flow restriction provided by the hops clogging the mesh, versus the strength of the siphon draw, caused the rubber gasket in the autosiphon to partially collapse, allowing air from inside the outer siphon tube to enter the inner tube.

Next time that happens, pour some of the siphoned beer into a sanitized cup, and then pour some beer from the cup into the autosiphon, on top of the gasket. If the air bubbles cease, you'll know air was getting by that gasket...

Cheers!

My guess is that it was dissolved co2 coming out of solution from the turbulence.

That could be true too. I'll be testing your theory when I try using this filter

67409d1341578108-kettle-filter-pellets-kettlefilter1b.jpg

inside a dry hopped secondary bucket and transfer with a spigot and gravity.

That could be true too. I'll be testing your theory when I try using this filter

67409d1341578108-kettle-filter-pellets-kettlefilter1b.jpg

inside a dry hopped secondary bucket and transfer with a spigot and gravity.

Interesting filter! What material is the outer screen made of?

:(

It could be that AND the air leaking from the inside of the siphon tube.

Were you using an autosiphon? If so you should have been able to see the bubbles traveling through the tube. I assumed you weren't since you didn't mention this.

Were you using an autosiphon? If so you should have been able to see the bubbles traveling through the tube. I assumed you weren't since you didn't mention this.

Yes and the bubbles were visible in the full length of all tubing. Like it was carbonated. Very fizzy.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you cut the mesh with metal shears, the edges can be sharp and prickly. I poked my self a few times before I de-burred the edges.

If you cut the mesh with metal shears, the edges can be sharp and prickly. I poked my self a few times before I de-burred the edges.

Sounds like my SS braid! I poke myself with the wires on the end of that thing every, single time I use my MLT!

Latest posts

Back