Learning to Ride....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjasghar

Reaction score
So i've more or less decided to learn to ride a motorcycle. I've weighed the pros and cons, and with gas almost at 3 bucks a gallon... well it's time to get something that is fuel effiecient.

I'm probably gonna take the class in the middle of the summer....but obviously i need a good starter bike.. any suggestions?

(i'm thinking this ---> http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/313430045.html one)

When I was planning on getting a starter bike (which will still happen, just not this year), my plan was to find a beater Honda Nighthawk, a $500 - $1,000 bike, something without TOO much power, but that would be reasonably forgiving, reliable, easy to work on/get fixed, and something that I wouldn't cry over too much if I dumped it. I don't know anything about the bike you're looking at (looks a little like a crotch-rocket wannabe), but that was my plan. Something to learn on and re-sell without it losing much, if any, value.

Hell, I actually *received* permission to buy Chillhayze's Honda Rebel, but that was subsequently retracted by the wife (in part since I'm also buying a lot of kegging gear), and I was advised that it was a bit too small for me.

I wouldnt get anything smaller then a 750, but even if ya get a 750 you're going to want to step up to a 1100 or bigger pretty quickly

My best advice is to find someone with a dirt bike and take that out for the day, Spin the tire around and get used to controlling it. Personally I would go with a Honda, they are great bikes. What style are you looking for? Sport bike, cruiser, or a dual sport type?

If you really don't care what type of bike you get, and only want a commuting bike then go for a nice small cruiser. Say like a 600cc or 500cc. But! If you want something you can have fun with on the weekends, I like the Honda CBR's. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Take the class and then see what is on the market. try to test drive as many bikes as you can( hopefully you have friends that have some).
4137-IMG_1709.JPG

IMO, this is the sweetest thing on 2 wheels, well maybe the 14R is cooler but I like the 10's.
0ab86023-c0ad-461f-824f-0b477fb84712.jpg

For a good commuter with a little power the 650R is a nice bike, gets great gas mileage, my friend has one and get about 65mpg on it. Only problem is it doesn't come in green.

a11d4ce0-710f-429f-9330-9f9b814fac56.jpg

btw, I'm a little partial to kawi :)

Ryanh1801 said:
Personally I would go with a Honda, they are great bikes.
yeah i'm leaning that way...

Ryanh1801 said:
What style are you looking for? Sport bike, cruiser, or a dual sport type?

i dunno, like my link said it's a "sporty" bike to get to work and all... and maybe a cruser for the weekend?

i'm looking to start, i think that's the most important thing right now.

Spend less on the bike so you can afford a nice set of leathers and helmet...then wear them! I've yet to put a bike down (the big word being YET)...but I have burned the **** out of my leg from it touching the exhaust pipe a few times while wearing shorts.

The 250 shown wouldn't be a bad time to learn on and tool around on. Its not going to be amazingly fast or anything...maybe top speed 80-90mph. You arent going to want a bigger bike until you get used to riding. I still remember when I was on an 1100cc honda shadow and downshifted into 3rd gear a bit too hard... the f-ing front tire started coming up and I about crapped myself! :) Time to check up!!

Yes for the love of god don't be that guy that spends 5 grand on a bike and buys a 50 dollar helmet. I can tell you first hand that a high dollar helmet can save your life. Look into Shoei's they are a great brand. Bikes like this are very fun you can do alot with them. Plus if you drop it, its not going to cost you an arm and a leg to fix. Plus insurance is going to be cheap. I will never own another sport bike for the street. I will probably buy a 250 race bike after i graduate, but there are to many idiots out their on sport bikes and cops are just going to look for a reason to hassle you.
XR650L.jpg

I'm a big fan of the small retro styled cafe racer. I own two ducati 250's from the mid seventies and a late seventies honda CB. all great bikes to learn on. probly small for you though. I'm only 5'4" 135# so they fit me great!

If your looking for a cruiser check out the Honda Shadow Ace DLX. I just sold mine but here's what it looked like. Normally I kept the rear seat off for a cleaner line but put it back on when I sold it.

bike1.jpg

So you can see all the sides. Basically just get what you like. Some like comfort, some like road hugging handling and raw power. 250 is perfect for a starter. America is just about the only country where a 250 is considered "small". I can't speak for the particular brand of bike you have picked out there. Never seen one.

Take the class. It's good to learn it the right way the first time.

I'm with RyanH... buy a dirt bike and learn to control a motorcycle on slippery surfaces first. One you are comfortable sliding the back wheel around, getting airborne, etc, you'll know all about controlling a motorcycle.

I think its suicidal to buy a high powered street bike and learn about motorcycles on the street.

I rode dirt bikes for years. Lots of fun. I had zero problems moving to a street bike. Street bikes handle way differently, but what you learn on the dirt applies on the street too.

My first street bike was a GS1100 Suzuki. It wheelied at 60 MPH in 2nd gear. Sounds wild, but my dirt bike at the time was a YZ490 that was either spinning and sideways or wheelying. The GS was over 100HP, but it weighed 600 pounds. The YZ was 60HP and weighed 240 lbs. Try riding that on slippery clay !

brewman ! said:
I'm with RyanH... buy a dirt bike and learn to control a motorcycle on slippery surfaces first. One you are comfortable sliding the back wheel around, getting airborne, etc, you'll know all about controlling a motorcycle.
I rode dirt bikes for years. Lots of fun. I had zero problems moving to a street bike. Street bikes handle way differently, but what you learn on the dirt applies on the street too.
!

I did this also. When I wanted my licience I bought a 250 rebel. Lasted about 6 months before I needed speed with style. So i got this.

mySporty375.jpg

I favor buying a smaller bike and getting good gear. I paid less for my ZPG 550 (the original rice rocket) than my suit and helmet. Sold it 5 years later for what is cost me and got a Honda VLX 600. Excess speed doesn't add anything to my ride.

I learned to ride on gravel roads and I wanted something light enough to pick up. Repeatedly. My driveway is 3500 feet of gravel.

Having ridden since my teens, I think I'm qualified to answer this post. Also, I've been looking into a starter bike for my wife.

I'm of the "start cheap, small, and reliable" mindset. Buy a used bike in good condition that you won't be afraid to lay down once or twice (most likely in the parking lot at slow speed). The Honda Rebel, Suzuki GZ250, Kawasaki Ninja 250, or Buell Blast are all decent first bikes. None of them are going to make you look particularly cool, but none of them are going to scare you too much (with price, power, or weight). You'll outgrow one of those pretty quickly, but you need to start somewhere.

For those suggesting 500-750 sized bikes, think about it this way:
20-30 years ago, those motorcycles were considered mid-sized to large. Honda's 250 was a top selling utility bike for years. The American motorcycle market has gone the way of fast food - assuming bigger must be better. Even my 1200 Sportster is sometimes now categorized in the "small bike" class. That's ABSURD! Just because it sits low and has the second "smallest" displacement engine in the Harley lineup, doesn't mean it doesn't have a ton of power that any beginner might find a bit too much to handle. Hell, I don't even hit top gear until almost 70 MPH!

Here is a great article that's along the lines of my opinion on first bikes.

Yuri_Rage said:
For those suggesting 500-750 sized bikes, think about it this way:
20-30 years ago, those motorcycles were considered mid-sized to large. Honda's 250 was a top selling utility bike for years. The American motorcycle market has gone the way of fast food - assuming bigger must be better. Even my 1200 Sportster is sometimes now categorized in the "small bike" class. That's ABSURD! Just because it sits low and has the second "smallest" displacement engine in the Harley lineup, doesn't mean it doesn't have a ton of power that any beginner might find a bit too much to handle. Hell, I don't even hit top gear until almost 70 MPH!

I think a 1200 Sportster is categorized like that because, compared to a 1000CC or even a 60CC jap bike it makes alot less power. You take a 883 HD and a ninja 250 and line them up, the ninja will beat the HD every time. Their is a huge difference in HD motors and jap bike motors as far as power is concerned.

Really, there's not much similarity between how you ride a dirt bike and how you ride a street bike. You stay on top of a dirt bike and you lean in a street bike.

lol... I'd love to see how long your street bike would last if you rode it like this:

99393671-L.jpg

lol... and if you guys think a 250 is small check this out!!

100740732-L-1.jpg

Ryanh1801 said:
I think a 1200 Sportster is categorized like that because, compared to a 1000CC or even a 60CC jap bike it makes alot less power. You take a 883 HD and a ninja 250 and line them up, the ninja will beat the HD every time. Their is a huge difference in HD motors and jap bike motors as far as power is concerned.
I'm going to wave the BS flag in a big way here. Yes, they create power in much different ways. Big v-twin engines are known for low RPM torque, while high revving inline engines make horsepower at the high RPM range.

In comparing specs for the 250R and 883, they have similar 1/4 mile times, but the 883 makes 3 times the torque, giving it a higher torque to weight ratio than even the light 250. Depending on gearing, the 883 would likely beat the 250 off the line. The 1200 beats the 250 all around as far as speed, horsepower, and torque, and it's pretty comparable to most of the inline 600s out there (note, the bikes I call "big").

Also, torque is what is most noticeable as far as acceleration characteristics and manageability. The big v-twins have a ton of it, and it can be unwieldy to the novice rider. The small inlines are much more forgiving in that regard.

BS flag all you want but, we did a race and even switched bikes. And it still turned out the same way. The 883 is seriously under powered. Im not saying im an expert or anything but i have ridden tons of different bikes and a HD will be alot more forgiving than a jap bike. Most of the new 600's are running low 11 and high 10's with a good rider, a 1200 will not come even close to that sorry most of them will run a mid 13.

Ryanh1801 said:
BS flag all you want but...
I think we're getting off topic in a big way here. I've ridden a lot as well, and our opinions certainly differ. The 600 sport bikes certainly have the edge in top speed, but the 1200 kills 'em with torque. Let's set that argument aside for now...we're not likely to agree in the end anyway.

Back to the OP:
Do you really want to recommend a larger, heavier v-twin bike to the novice rider over a lighter, small displacement inline?

EDIT (I'm putting this here because I don't want to create another post):
Ryanh1801 said:
I truthfully would not recommend a HD to anyone, unless you can wrench around a bike good.
After all that HD defense, I kinda agree. Oh, and my other bike is a 1972 Honda CB750 that I restored from the ground up. :eek:

OK,
back on topic. Like others have said, start with a smaller used bike and
don't skimp on the helmet and leathers. I always recommend the riding course
for new riders.

I started out on a used Honda Nighthawk 650 (great bike) and moved on
to a Honda VFR 700 that I still own along with a customized Yamaha V-Star 1100 classic. Each one of these bikes has a different riding style. Buying a used bike
allows you to get into the sport a little cheaper and decide if you really like it.
Then you can go get your dream bike.:D

Yuri_Rage said:
I think we're getting off topic in a big way here. I've ridden a lot as well, and our opinions certainly differ. The 600 sport bikes certainly have the edge in top speed, but the 1200 kills 'em with torque. Let's set that argument aside for now...we're not likely to agree in the end anyway.

Back to the OP:
Do you really want to recommend a larger, heavier v-twin bike to the novice rider over a lighter, small displacement inline?

agreed. Like i said a dirt bike is the best way to learn, I went from my dirtbike to my dads big ass HD and had no problems. I truthfully would not recommend a HD to anyone, unless you can wrench around a bike good. personally i would go with a dual sport to start off on, they are funner than any bike i have ever ridden and you can do so much with them. I would love to have a KLR.

Ryanh1801 said:
BS flag all you want but, we did a race and even switched bikes. And it still turned out the same way. The 883 is seriously under powered. Im not saying im an expert or anything but i have ridden tons of different bikes and a HD will be alot more forgiving than a jap bike. Most of the new 600's are running low 11 and high 10's with a good rider, a 1200 will not come even close to that sorry most of them will run a mid 13.
OT again, but my 600 ran a 10.38 last summer. It's a 1988. The new one's with 120hp run in the low 9's. Plus they don't even need more then say 2 or 3 gears to get down the track. Don't think there are many HD's out there that will do that, but they're not designed to. In fact the stock peak tq on HD's 1584cc engine is just over 80ft-lbs with hp down around 65. That's not all that much if your comparing to any jap SS, but again not the design intention.

One topic, I also highly recommend the dirk bike or if it has to be a road bike, the ninja 250 or 500 are both forgiving low powered bikes and they hold their resale very well. I think the 500 has like 45ish hp and is a little bigger than the 250 so it's not too small.

z987k said:
OT again, but my 600 ran a 10.38 last summer. It's a 1988. The new one's with 120hp run in the low 9's. Plus they don't even need more then say 2 or 3 gears to get down the track. Don't think there are many HD's out there that will do that, but they're not designed to. In fact the stock peak tq on HD's 1584cc engine is just over 80ft-lbs with hp down around 65. That's not all that much if your comparing to any jap SS, but again not the design intention.

One topic, I also highly recommend the dirk bike or if it has to be a road bike, the ninja 250 or 500 are both forgiving low powered bikes and they hold their resale very well. I think the 500 has like 45ish hp and is a little bigger than the 250 so it's not too small.

Ok i was not going to post again but, that is complete bull ****!!!! With a pro rider on a sea level track the new 600 go Mid 10's. The new 1000's only go high 9's. The 600 also do not have 120 HP. Sorry i just could not let this go.

Brewnurse said:
If you really don't care what type of bike you get, and only want a commuting bike then go for a nice small cruiser. Say like a 600cc or 500cc. But! If you want something you can have fun with on the weekends, I like the Honda CBR's. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Take the class and then see what is on the market. try to test drive as many bikes as you can( hopefully you have friends that have some).
4137-IMG_1709.JPG

Ahh, my old bike, dang I miss that thing....I had the same color sceme and everything, mine was just a little more modded. Sold it when I became a daddy.

Dirt bikes are good in that they teach you accellerating, braking and shifting, but the riding style is way different on the street.
If you're looking for a nice beginner bike, I think your best bet is a Buell Blast despite my love of honda's and the Ninja 500R (the 250 is too small IMHO). The Blast is designed to be a beginner bike. It's supposed to be very very low maintenance. All you really need to do is add gas and check your tire pressure every now and then. Plus it gets 70mpg easy. I'm probably going to moving soon and my commute will go from 3 miles to 70 miles....I'm thinking about getting one just for that.....
Whatever you choose, get a good helmet. Most any riding jacket and gloves will be fine. Have fun and ride safe. Remember that it's not you you have to worry about, it's the other guy.

Yuri_Rage said:
After all that HD defense, I kinda agree. Oh, and my other bike is a 1972 Honda CB750 that I restored from the ground up.

I've got a 76 that I need to get running right do you by any chance have any extra parts? It's scary that the bike I ride is 7 years older than me. But needed that bike because of my size comma 200+. I have friends that are "fit" that can get around on a 500-600cc bike.

:off: To the HD-Jap discussion Harleys are built for long riding. Japs are built for short sporty riding. If you are going 65 on the highway and needed to pass someone I would take the Harley because it can go from cruzing to accelerating fast than a Jap. Harleys are made to run around 2-3 on the highway and they create most of there power there too. Japs bikes around around 4-5 on the highway but gererate most of their power at 6-7. But to get up to speed japs can stay in that range and will biuld more power than a harley. It's physics it's not which bike I favor and remember I ride a Honda.

Ryanh1801 said:
Ok i was not going to post again but, that is complete bull ****!!!! With a pro rider on a sea level track the new 600 go Mid 10's. The new 1000's only go high 9's. The 600 also do not have 120 HP. Sorry i just could not let this go.

2006 ninja 600RR has 125hp @ 14,000rpms and 52ft-lbs @ 11,500. Google it.

sause said:
I've got a 76 that I need to get running right do you by any chance have any extra parts? It's scary that the bike I ride is 7 years older than me. But needed that bike because of my size comma 200+. I have friends that are "fit" that can get around on a 500-600cc bike.

:off: To the HD-Jap discussion Harleys are built for long riding. Japs are built for short sporty riding. If you are going 65 on the highway and needed to pass someone I would take the Harley because it can go from cruzing to accelerating fast than a Jap. Harleys are made to run around 2-3 on the highway and they create most of there power there too. Japs bikes around around 4-5 on the highway but gererate most of their power at 6-7. But to get up to speed japs can stay in that range and will biuld more power than a harley. It's physics it's not which bike I favor and remember I ride a Honda.

Sause rides tooo! awesome.

Dont get me wrong I rode a Honda for the simple reason that it was 1/3rd the price of a Harley and 1/3rd the mechanical PITA. Not to mention any after market gear you want to buy doesnt cost you an arm and a leg just cuz it's got HD on it somewhere

I'm making the SWMBO take the MSF class this spring....she's pumped, and I'm going to let her ride my 94 CBR F2, I learned to ride on it, it's freaking great. I'm glad I didn't get anything smaller, or bigger, it's just right

sause said:
I've got a 76 that I need to get running right do you by any chance have any extra parts? It's scary that the bike I ride is 7 years older than me.
Sweet! Sorry, no extra parts to get rid of. I do have plenty of working knowledge of the bike and its motor if you need a hand (we'll start a new thread for that or PM about it). My '72 is 5 years older than me...

98EXL said:
I'm making the SWMBO take the MSF class this spring....she's pumped, and I'm going to let her ride my 94 CBR F2, I learned to ride on it, it's freaking great. I'm glad I didn't get anything smaller, or bigger, it's just right

Hey I learned on an F2 as well. They're great beginner bikes, but there is no way I'd suggest a beginner go out and get one of the newer 600's. They are way more advanced than the archaic F2. I've ridden with too many people that have done this and it's just plain sad when someone can't handle the bike.

Craig5_12 said:
Hey I learned on an F2 as well. They're great beginner bikes, but there is no way I'd suggest a beginner go out and get one of the newer 600's. They are way more advanced than the archaic F2. I've ridden with too many people that have done this and it's just plain sad when someone can't handle the bike.

I love her...although I can't seem to adjust the clutch very well....the lever has to be all the way to the grip, not anywhere in between

If you are getting the bike because gas is going up and you want something more fuel efficient, I'm guessing you are going to be commuting to and from work. I commuted on my bike when I lived in LA. I would suggest the following things to consider.

1. Get a riding suit, check out www.Aerostich.com, that is waterproof and has reflective panels.
2. Get riding boots. Sneakers or even regular boots will do little to protect your feet when you crash (you will crash eventually, may not be going fast, but it will happen if you ride long enough).
3. Spend money on a good helmet and make sure it is comfortable. I have a Shoei multitec that allows the front to lift up. Very handy as I wear glasses.
4. A bike with hardbags is a great convienece. I could actually do my grocery shopping using the hardbags on my bike. Also, makes a good place to store your helmet and riding suit.
5. Get earplugs and wear them.
6. Take the MSF course.
7. Pick a bike that gives you a more upright riding position if you have a long commute. Sportbikes can put stress on your wrists and neck and are not comfortable for a long days ride. They also make it more difficult to look up and be aware of what is going on around you.
8. It's you against the cages. Be very careful as drivers have a hard time noticing motorcycles.
9. Plan on 10 extra minutes in your commute time to suit up, warm up and get started.

Bikes are alot of fun. Wish I weren't selling mine. It's getting picked up tomorrow.

jdoiv said:
If you are getting the bike because gas is going up and you want something more fuel efficient, I'm guessing you are going to be commuting to and from work. I commuted on my bike when I lived in LA. I would suggest the following things to consider.

1. Get a riding suit, check out www.Aerostich.com, that is waterproof and has reflective panels.
2. Get riding boots. Sneakers or even regular boots will do little to protect your feet when you crash (you will crash eventually, may not be going fast, but it will happen if you ride long enough).
3. Spend money on a good helmet and make sure it is comfortable. I have a Shoei multitec that allows the front to lift up. Very handy as I wear glasses.
4. A bike with hardbags is a great convienece. I could actually do my grocery shopping using the hardbags on my bike. Also, makes a good place to store your helmet and riding suit.
5. Get earplugs and wear them.
6. Take the MSF course.
7. Pick a bike that gives you a more upright riding position if you have a long commute. Sportbikes can put stress on your wrists and neck and are not comfortable for a long days ride. They also make it more difficult to look up and be aware of what is going on around you.
8. It's you against the cages. Be very careful as drivers have a hard time noticing motorcycles.
9. Plan on 10 extra minutes in your commute time to suit up, warm up and get started.

Bikes are alot of fun. Wish I weren't selling mine. It's getting picked up tomorrow.

^^quoted for posterity. good points that should be taken to heart.

Back