How much DME for 1L starter with 2 Wyeast packs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsharp

Reaction score
I am going to make my first yeast starter this week. According to Mr. Malty, I need to pitch two packs of yeast for a 1L starter. I only have the equipment for 1L right now, so I need to stay at that mark if possible. I will be using 2 packs of Wyeast Scottish Ale 1728 to make a Wee Heavy with a OG of 1.083. How much DME should I add to make my wort? Thanks in advance!

Use a 10 to 1 ratio. That would be to add 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final volume. (If you're making a 1 liter starter, add water to 100 grams of DME until you have 1 liters total.)

That's the easiest way to do it if you have a scale. If you're using measuring cups, use 1/2 cup DME for each 2 cups of water, and simply multiply x2 for a 1 liter starter.

I use 4oz by wt to 1L/1qt, which is close enough for homebrewing to what Yooper said.

But, why pitch 2 packs to make a starter? I would only use 1

He can't make a 2-3L starter which would be necessary to get the right amount of cells for that gravity, so he has to start with 2 packs in a 1L starter.

Ignore Mr. Malty. Per Wyeast 1 pack is OK to pitch direct into 5 gallons of 1.060. Making a 1L starter with 1 pack will give you 10X the cells, plenty for your brew.

It may be low for Mr. Malty, you may get a slightly slower start (15 vs 12 hours .... example), and you may get slightly more esters because the yeast is a little more stressed (but I bet you would not notice them).

OR pitch both packs direct.

I think I can probably handle it now. Thanks everybody for their input! This is my first attempt at a big beer, I just want it done right.

Back